Best option for my transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trans is going out at 166k and I’m wondering what’s the best route to take. I don’t have much money. So the cheapest way would be nice. Thanks.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. If you are DIY, then boneyard for cheapest option.
2. Find a local shop that does good teans work and price a rebuild.
3. Put in a CERTA trans with a 3 yr/100k warranty if you plan on keeping the truck for awhile

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. If you are DIY, then boneyard for cheapest option.
2. Find a local shop that does good teans work and price a rebuild.
3. Put in a CERTA trans with a 3 yr/100k warranty if you plan on keeping the truck for awhile
Maybe I can’t rebuild a transmission but maybe I can swap them… I heard @NickTransmissions is doing some videos And I’m gonna take a look at those. Investing in some Jack stands. And my neighbor has a Jack.

The car is financed. So I will be keeping it a while. It’s kind of hard to sell with this many miles.

There is a decent transmission in my town with good reviews. I might check them out. Regardless I’m on a budget. I also have to fix my exhaust leak.

Airman68

Reaction score
Sometimes you can find a reliable, smaller rebuild shop that can do the whole job cheaper than you can. I would agree, finding a descent used trans for a swap is likely the cheapest. I did one on my last silverado, installed parts and labor under $1200. Probelm is, who really knows how good the replacement is. If you have a shop do it, at least they might stand behind it if you buy it from them.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t get why it drives fine but really only slips when I first start driving. Then it won’t do it again until I let it sit for a while (over night)

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the basics first:

Check the ATF level after the fluid is HOT. If low, add fluid. Is the fluid red or gross & dark?

Then:

Pull the transmission pan, drain all the fluid you can (try to measure how much comes out; makes it easier to add the correct amount).

Replace the filter. Bolt pan back up to transmission.

Fill with new fluid, check level, go for a drive up to 55-60mph to cycle through all the gears and converter lockup.

Repeat fluid exchange and drive until the fluid looks good.

Reaction score
I don’t get why it drives fine but really only slips when I first start driving. Then it won’t do it again until I let it sit for a while (over night)
You need to be clear on exactly what symptoms you are having as there are multiple different types of symptoms documented across all of your transmission-related threads. Hard to know where to begin if we can't understand what's actually happening.

That said, the slipping/chugging when cold is a commonly reported issue and consensus amongst techs, etc is that the root of the problem is in the tune/software.
Specifically the TM and TCC tables where in some vehicles when the trans temp is below a certain threshold (ie cold from sitting), the TCM "overadapts" resulting in a slip at take off that goes away once the trans reaches higher temps, hence why it only happens when its been sitting for prolonged periods of time.

There's a TSB on the issue though it covers later years but may apply to yours as well

Is this the only drivability symptom you have?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to be clear on exactly what symptoms you are having as there are multiple different types of symptoms documented across all of your transmission-related threads. Hard to know where to begin if we can't understand what's actually happening.

That said, the slipping/chugging when cold is a commonly reported issue and consensus amongst techs, etc is that the root of the problem is in the tune/software.
Specifically the TM and TCC tables where in some vehicles when the trans temp is below a certain threshold (ie cold from sitting), the TCM "overadapts" resulting in a slip at take off that goes away once the trans reaches higher temps, hence why it only happens when its been sitting for prolonged periods of time.

There's a TSB on the issue though it covers later years but may apply to yours as well

Is this the only drivability symptom you have?
I mentioned all my issues I was having in this Transmission thread to you @NickTransmissions