Best insurance company for Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I have checked State farm in the past, they are always one of the higher priced rates. I have never used them, but Costco offers insurance I hear is pretty good. Not sure if its through anyone or if its actually through them.

I've been real happy with USAA too. Great customer service. When I was on a road trip last year and got stuck behind a mud and rock covered truck, my windshield picked up 15 or so large chips and a few cracks. They got me a 15% discount on safelite and helped arrange it.

I've never had an accident, but I've used roadside assistance several times. I factor that into the cost last time I shopped around, (I don't remember why, but I switched from progressive. Might have been to bundle in home insurance for another discount). I want to say AAA has the best road side assistance, if you pay the $10 a month or so for the highest plan. I know they do a lot of discounts at many places for retirees if you're up there.

Any chance your rate increase could have been a quarterly/annual reevaluation of factors for your area, as opposed to was this something you did such as report a ticket or accident? Could rates for all carriers have gone up in your area? Could it be a .. "You've gotten hurricanes and you're getting more snowbirds this time of year kind of thing"?

sfc_jones

Reaction score
I have been a State Farm customer for almost 40 years. I checked out USAA a few times and was floored at the increase I would have to pay. I would never use Geico as they do not want to use factory OEM parts. I learned this through the body shop I use. They say they are the worse. I don't like progressive because of the politics. I had Allstate but they canceled my Insurance because traveled so much with the Army...It seems that my age makes things rough. My credit score is over 820 so I know they are not using that against me so I just stay where I am. Besides I know if I get something cheaper it wouldn't last as they would raise the rates...

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Just finished a claim w/ AAA in SoCal on our 08 Denali XL. 08:35 hours, clear day, school zone, kids everywhere at 25 MPH on 4 lane undivided street w/ 100% street parking except drop/pick up zones.

After the drop off zone the city jogged the center dividing line toward the curb without warning or signage. The curb was painted red and signed “No Stopping” because the city created a choke point forcing the cars traveling in the outboard lane up against the curb.

Selfish parents drop their kids off in this no stopping zones because it’s next to a gate for a shortcut to class. I was in the Denali coming up to the choke point and a driver in an Explorer snuck into the choke point that concealed the red curb.

Unfortunately a car was pacing me on the driver side and her parked car made me thread the needle between her parked car and the car pacing me. Even while crawling at 25 mph I had zero time to brake or move away from her car parked at the choke point. The moment I honked, our mirrors exploded from collision.

As I called in the accident the AAA rep, she never said she was my adjuster. I told her I had pics of everything. Three days lateral she called back and offered 25, 50 or 75% liability. Huh?! I escalated to a Mgr and she said I had no right to hit the parked car. Strike 2. Next conversation that manger said USAA is stating 100% my fault.

I call USAA and verified AAA never sent them pics of their insured parked at the choke point or mentioned the choke. Huh?!? Strike 3 for AAA. After confronting AAA on this they suggest I sign off to let them have my vehicle data recorder (VDR) that only triggers after accidents and not after driving the truck for two days. It also releases their liability for damage or ANYTHING.

I spoke to local PD, their traffic investigator and an attorney. Let AAA know it and stated they were not representing my best interest. If the EDR is misrepresented, USAA could use it against me. I reminded them I was presumed innocent per the law and they were jeopardizing that. Strike 4.

I found some 1965 case law showing how cars parked obstructing traffic can be the primary cause of accidents and told them my attorney wanted to see their reports. AAA then sent their own investigator to verify the facts and found the car parked in the red at 70% fault.

Going to tell them to pay my $250 deductible for what could be perceived as willful negligence, not once, but four times. I’m sure they’ll oblige that request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I don't stay with AAA because they always do the right thing. It's just that when they get caught doing the wrong thing they're accountable for it. I keep track of how they've handled claims in the past and it really seems to show them that they need to go the extra mile when they encounter a claim in the future. I call it good customer service. I'm sure they refer to it as leverage from their insured so they don't get caught trying all the BS they attempt.

This was the first accident where I was partially responsible since 1995. In the past, I've been rear ended or some kind of parking lot incident were they were able to recoupe 100%+ of all they paid out to me. As of today I got an email that said ....

"I just received your voicemail. We have been attempting to settle the claim with the other carrier and have been unsuccessful with an agreement. We have denied their claim and waived your $250 deductible as of today, as we will attempt to recover in subrogation. You will receive a check in the mail for the amount of your deductible."

This is the link that I sent them in my last email communication that shows some pretty startling case law all the way back from 1965 on negligent parking of vehicles ...

1. https://engagedscholarship.csuohio.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwjKyfztrd7dAhVD1qwKHcYsDNoQFjABegQICRAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fengagedscholarship.csuohio.edu%2Fcgi%2Fviewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D3092%26context%3Dclevstlrev&usg=AOvVaw1Rd1A7YNX1zU9il1e2xxB9&httpsredir=1&article=3092&context=clevstlrev

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had an issue with progressive and unfortunately I’m accident prone. My rates do not go up even when I’m in an at fault accident (had one 6 months ago, rate was still the same at renewal).

Every time I was in an accident, I was in a rental car as soon as my car was towed. They always repaired it to like new condition, and the reps were easy to deal with.

The worst I’ve experience was when it wasn’t my fault. State Farm wouldn’t issue me a rental till they had enough proof that it was there members fault (person backed into my car inside the church parking lot) they made me wait to have their adjuster inspect it before I could have my shop work on it (2 days) etc. sometimes I claim my own insurance just for the ease and let them fight the other people and they reimburse me my deductible if the other person is at fault

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in Florida , 51 years old, wife had a minor fender bender last year but clean record otherwise. So it looks like Geico, Liberty Mutual, and AAA will be getting calls. Appreciate all the replies!
This is your problem. You used to have a premium based on no accidents and now you do not. It may be worth shopping, though any other company will want to know whether you have accidents in the last 3 or 5 years and will price your policy accordingly.

CreepinDeth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is no such thing as "Best insurance for Tahoe"
It goes by area, demographics, Age, years driving, FICO Scoring, driving history, risk assessments, etc.

What you have to do is rate shop companies every 2-3 years tops, because they are all increasing rates 300% or more of inflation. It's even worse in the home insurance arena, because of all the natural disasters. I have had an 800+ FICO score for years now, after totally destroying my credit. The 2004 ish legislation to include FICO scoring was not to give anyone lower rates, it was to ensure they had a more legal way to get more profits out of people. With my FICO I was getting still dinged 8-10% annual increases thru various outlets. So imagine what they're doing to bad FICO scores.

Keep comparing insurance companies, and do it ANNUALLY.
My current one is the HANOVER Ins Group for everything in my fleet & home.

I've checked several companies this year alone and I couldn't believe how sky high the
rates have gone, and I'm mid 40's , married, children, homes, successful, high credit.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't stay with AAA because they always do the right thing. It's just that when they get caught doing the wrong thing they're accountable for it. I keep track of how they've handled claims in the past and it really seems to show them that they need to go the extra mile when they encounter a claim in the future. I call it good customer service. I'm sure they refer to it as leverage from their insured so they don't get caught trying all the BS they attempt.

This was the first accident where I was partially responsible since 1995. In the past, I've been rear ended or some kind of parking lot incident were they were able to recoupe 100%+ of all they paid out to me. As of today I got an email that said ....

"I just received your voicemail. We have been attempting to settle the claim with the other carrier and have been unsuccessful with an agreement. We have denied their claim and waived your $250 deductible as of today, as we will attempt to recover in subrogation. You will receive a check in the mail for the amount of your deductible."

This is the link that I sent them in my last email communication that shows some pretty startling case law all the way back from 1965 on negligent parking of vehicles ...

1. https://engagedscholarship.csuohio.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwjKyfztrd7dAhVD1qwKHcYsDNoQFjABegQICRAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fengagedscholarship.csuohio.edu%2Fcgi%2Fviewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D3092%26context%3Dclevstlrev&usg=AOvVaw1Rd1A7YNX1zU9il1e2xxB9&httpsredir=1&article=3092&context=clevstlrev
wawanesa insurance is great Best prices i only pay $650/yr in California $1.78 per day

it's $1100 for full coverage I can't afford it my self so i stick with the base 15k/30k/25k (property)/3k (uninsured motorist ) you have to pay in installment of 6 months

also the california state issues insurance as well. income/car value requirements apply
https://www.mylowcostauto.com

the base rate is: 490$ for liability only.. in los angeles

I suggest getting a dash camera as well.. This could help and there is No here say about what happened

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have been a AAA insurance agent for about 25 years...

Call AAA for a quote and feel free to ask for advice. Experience agents will tell you when they know another insurance company may fit your situation better than something they can offer. That goes for all ethical experienced agents. We want your business if we have the a competitive rate, but will also be happy to try and direct you to other agents we know who may be a better fit if our rates are too high.

AngeloUCF

Reaction score
Not sure if you have access to it, but I’ve been happy with USAA since 1980

I love USAA, but if you can't use them, I would recommend AMICA.

USAA has been good to me over the years.

Can you guys tell me what you're paying with USAA? I just found out that I'm paying almost 4500/yr with USAA on my 16 Denali and 16 X5. I lease the Denali so have 100/300 but Esurance just quoted me about 1600/yr for the same vehicles. That's what I get for letting my wife handle the insurance bill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont