AutoRide delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

syclnjr

Reaction score
Also I ran the bag lines where I could tie them into the original system if I got froggy one day to try it out ;)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I tow using my autoride system and it works awesome. I haven’t towed a real heavy trailer but I did load my 12’ enclosed trailer with a couple tons of yard debris and it leveled it out fine. That’s what the system is designed for and even lowered, running 26” wheels with almost no clearance it still worked perfect. I even used it for hauling 7 people and a huge load of gear and food/ beverages for the Hood To Coast relay race one year and I had the 26’s then and I never had a tire rub. So I guess I don’t understand why you guys want to get rid of the system and then still try to auto level....?

I'm not intentionally trying to get rid of the AutoRide or AutoLevel. I actually do like these features. My shocks need replacing and I'm lowering it, so I can't keep the AutoRide in the front. Well, I guess I could mount the strut under the control arm for the extra 2" of drop but I already have the BT struts, so I'm rolling with it. For the rear, I could make my own shock extenders and keep AutoLevel, but I already have new BT shocks and I'm not spending the money on new OEM shocks. I also already have the AirLift bags. Like you said- leveling when loaded is the exact purpose of the AutoLevel system. The bags are to compensate for the factory springs when they're loaded more than normal. My problem is that the lowering springs will be softer than the factory springs, so the bags will already be utilized some just to get the rear back to a factory-like capacity when not loaded. Going by the numbers, I still just can't see this being a real problem if I have it dialed in properly. I may be missing a factor or two, but unless something is revealed before then, I may be learning the hard way.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW. I don’t know all the ins and outs of the system and the expectations of the ride sensors etc. the way I understand it, while they share the same sensors, auto ride and auto level are to different things, correct me if I am wrong.

iamdub

I will do some measurements with different air pressures and see where things come out at.
Almost
Done

lol

View attachment 233209

Yes, they are two different systems. One is electronically variable shock damping and the other levels the rear when loaded. To be technically accurate, it levels about .5-1" when not loaded due to the rear springs being a little softer than non-ALC-equipped models.

I'd appreciate any data you can provide!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW. I don’t know all the ins and outs of the system and the expectations of the ride sensors etc. the way I understand it, while they share the same sensors, auto ride and auto level are to different things, correct me if I am wrong.

iamdub

I will do some measurements with different air pressures and see where things come out at.
Almost
Done

lol

View attachment 233209
You are correct, and Im in the bad habit of referring to autoride when I should say autolevel. My autoride is disabled, also mine is a NBS so I don’t have struts up front. I have Bilstein 4600’s up front and Bilstein autolevel shocks in the rear which I can’t find any more; I bought those from Arnott. It rides and handles great with a 2/4 drop and huge swaybars.

D6CC221A-5089-4328-9985-76A2963F94C4.jpeg

OP
OP
S

syclnjr

Reaction score
Had it out driving today to get things to settle and make sure it didn’t fall apart. Held together lol.

I had to take the level sensor rods that were supplied, cut half the threads off of each end and reinstall.

Compressor would continue to run when I first drove it. With the shorter rods it only does it’s test run after start for like 5 seconds.

Needs an alignment but here it sits.

factory 22s with huge 305/45/22s on it. Lol

399E71F2-6C7A-4DBF-A1D3-42FB5748B15C.jpeg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had it out driving today to get things to settle and make sure it didn’t fall apart. Held together lol.

I had to take the level sensor rods that were supplied, cut half the threads off of each end and reinstall.

Compressor would continue to run when I first drove it. With the shorter rods it only does it’s test run after start for like 5 seconds.

Needs an alignment but here it sits.

factory 22s with huge 305/45/22s on it. Lol

View attachment 233293

Sounds like you have the AutoLevel links set about right.

OP
OP
S

syclnjr

Reaction score
Yes sir. At least as it sits now.... we will see if any settling happens, but.... maybe I will figure out using the system to keep the airlift bags at the right level.

I have some ideas for that and possibly figured it out.

I think I really want to use it or find a way to have an autolevel system in the truck is my wife drives it a bunch to Girl Scout events etc and I would hate for her to have to add air to the bags when she has it fully loaded with kids and gear.

we will see.

Here is another picture. Not sure if it’s better or not. Lol

AC718D25-989A-455F-BFA2-44AEE284B537.jpeg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the total drop, 4/4? Did you measure anything before and after? How about a direct side pic next time it's outta the garage?

OP
OP
S

syclnjr

Reaction score
yep will do lol, I got too excited to show what it looks.

Unfortunately I didn't take a measurement before.

Of course I measured it after, front is right at 32.5 from ground to fender lip opening. and rear is about 33.5 will post a before picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos