AutoRide delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up Chris. Should be a sticky if there isn’t one already. Answers lots of ????

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, let’s wait. If it works it will be the first time that I know of. I know others have tried and given up but I can’t remember exactly why.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one needs to know :) right? I’ll be watching since I tapped out after the same springs and spindles when it came to helper bags. I still have auto ride. For me the 3” springs gave me about 2 1/2” drop even 5 years later.

OP
OP
S

syclnjr

Reaction score
Great replies everyone.

iamdub, what you listed was my exact thoughts on making the system work for autolevel, but as noted I dug as far as I could find and it was a common consensus that it wouldn’t work.

I guess one thing to consider with this is, let’s say you have the back end loaded quite a bit and the level sensors trigger the compressor to bring it up in height, it may run into a greater than max pressure issue in the bag if it can’t reach that height, right? I am pretty sure this is how it works.

I was going to mess with it more but am running out of time. When I started the lowering job my Yukon needed brakes, that turned into, lowering of course, ball joints, hubs, etc.

I then had to purchase a spohn pan hard bar to clear the factory exhaust. With my truck being a Denali, the 3.5 inch over the axel tube smacks the factory pan hard bar.

Then I liked the idea of have the DJM relocator for the sway bar and lower control arms worked so picked that up as well.

this thing better ride like a dream lol.

thanks for the insight on the compressor as well.

I did install the shorter links in the rear as well.

will shoot some pics soon. Almost done. Need to get it on the ground so it can settle

thanks

mike

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iamdub, what you listed was my exact thoughts on making the system work for autolevel, but as noted I dug as far as I could find and it was a common consensus that it wouldn’t work.

I guess one thing to consider with this is, let’s say you have the back end loaded quite a bit and the level sensors trigger the compressor to bring it up in height, it may run into a greater than max pressure issue in the bag if it can’t reach that height, right? I am pretty sure this is how it works.

Is the system attempting to achieve the proper height when loaded the problem with this proposed setup? I see both sides of the story, but I don't have any personal, real-life experience with how the load bags work. All I can do at this point is go by the advertised numbers. My understanding is that their purpose is to lift a loaded vehicle back to or nearly to it's unloaded height by providing up to 1,000 lbs of additional load capacity for the coil springs. Supposedly, they do this with a maximum of 35PSI. Yes, this is a fraction of what the stock ALC compressor produces. I'm hoping that, since the ALC compressor is controlled by position, that I can get the sensor arm links dialed in just right so that it keeps just the right amount of pressure in the bags to achieve the ride quality I'm after at the ride height I want. I really don't see this being a problem. The wrench in the plans here is when towing since I'm already using the bags a little to make up for the softer coils. If I hitch up a loaded trailer, all that additional load is directly upon the bags. I guess the question here would be whether-or-not the lowering coils have 1,000 lbs lower load capacity compared to the stock coils. A small saving grace here is that I rarely ever tow and when I do, it's a very minimal load- usually a 5x8 mesh bottom trailer with an 800-lb. ZTR mower on a short trip to the gas station. But, I don't wanna have to be concerned about hitching up a heavy trailer one day and, without thinking, start the Tahoe and within a few minutes pop the load bags cuz I forgot about it.

... Yeah, eff it. This Guinea pig is going for it. I may be a martyr, but the knowledge and info is worth it.

I was going to mess with it more but am running out of time. When I started the lowering job my Yukon needed brakes, that turned into, lowering of course, ball joints, hubs, etc.

I'm right there with you! I started collecting lowering parts which led to collecting standard suspension refreshment parts (ball joints, bushings, etc.) and now I'm researching and collecting brake parts. You know- if I'm gonna go so far as to remove the wheels, I may as well replace and/or upgrade everything attached to the frame. :rolleyes:

I call it "The WIHIMAW Syndrome" (While I'm Here I May As Well...)

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that their purpose is to lift a loaded vehicle back to or nearly to it's unloaded height by providing up to 1,000 lbs of additional load capacity for the coil springs. Supposedly, they do this with a maximum of 35PSI. Yes, this is a fraction of what the stock ALC compressor produces. I'm hoping that, since the ALC compressor is controlled by position, that I can get the sensor arm links dialed in just right so that it keeps just the right amount of pressure in the bags to achieve the ride quality I'm after at the ride height I want.
You could simply install an external regulator on the output of your air compressor and set it at 35-40psi so you don't over pressurize your bags while you test the system.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the system attempting to achieve the proper height when loaded the problem with this proposed setup? I see both sides of the story, but I don't have any personal, real-life experience with how the load bags work. All I can do at this point is go by the advertised numbers. My understanding is that their purpose is to lift a loaded vehicle back to or nearly to it's unloaded height by providing up to 1,000 lbs of additional load capacity for the coil springs. Supposedly, they do this with a maximum of 35PSI. Yes, this is a fraction of what the stock ALC compressor produces. I'm hoping that, since the ALC compressor is controlled by position, that I can get the sensor arm links dialed in just right so that it keeps just the right amount of pressure in the bags to achieve the ride quality I'm after at the ride height I want. I really don't this being a problem. The wrench in the plans here is when towing since I'm already using the bags a little to make up for the softer coils. If I hitch up a loaded trailer, all that additional load is directly upon the bags. I guess the question here would be whether-or-not the lowering coils have 1,000 lbs lower load capacity compared to the stock coils. A small saving grace here is that I rarely ever tow and when I do, it's a very minimal load- usually a 5x8 mesh bottom trailer with an 800-lb. ZTR mower on a short trip to the gas station. But, I don't wanna have to be concerned about hitching up a heavy trailer one day and, without thinking, start the Tahoe and within a few minutes pop the load bags cuz I forgot about it.

... Yeah, eff it. This Guinea pig is going for it. I may be a martyr, but the knowledge and info is worth it.

I'm right there with you! I started collecting lowering parts which led to collecting standard suspension refreshment parts (ball joints, bushings, etc.) and now I'm researching and collecting brake parts. You know- if I'm gonna go so far as to remove the wheels, I may as well replace and/or upgrade everything attached to the frame. :rolleyes:

I call it "The WIHIMAW Syndrome" (While I'm Here I May As Well...)
FWIW I tow using my autoride system and it works awesome. I haven’t towed a real heavy trailer but I did load my 12’ enclosed trailer with a couple tons of yard debris and it leveled it out fine. That’s what the system is designed for and even lowered, running 26” wheels with almost no clearance it still worked perfect. I even used it for hauling 7 people and a huge load of gear and food/ beverages for the Hood To Coast relay race one year and I had the 26’s then and I never had a tire rub. So I guess I don’t understand why you guys want to get rid of the system and then still try to auto level....?

OP
OP
S

syclnjr

Reaction score
FWIW. I don’t know all the ins and outs of the system and the expectations of the ride sensors etc. the way I understand it, while they share the same sensors, auto ride and auto level are to different things, correct me if I am wrong.

iamdub

I will do some measurements with different air pressures and see where things come out at.
Almost
Done

lol

604B7555-7092-40C2-BB5A-EF8FB9160B27.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792