Audio System Upgrade Thread 04 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More Stuff - Damplifier Pro "B" Pack

Nice engine bay! all clean and gunk free. GJ! :worthy:

Hey, Thanks!! Here's a couple more shots:

IMGP0565.jpg

IMGP0562.jpg

What exactly is the big three upgrade?

Hey There, Nathan gave you a link - it's about making better and thicker wire gauge grounds from the battery to the alternator case, frame and chassis as well as to upgrade the thickness of the positive wire between the battery and alternator. It's so you get less resistance from your wiring to get the max amps through your electrical system for running audio and other electrical devices. Google Big 3 upgrade and you'll find tons of info.

Here's another good write up I came across that explains it nicely:

http://www.truckmodcentral.com/forums/f63/how-big-3-upgrade-extremely-pic-heavy-5536/

Thanks Nathan!

I received my Damplifier Pro from Second Skin Audio yesterday (http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier-pro/) , so I'm armed and dangerous for my speaker install next Friday. I'm looking forward to getting them in. More to follow next Friday!!

I bought the "B" pack for a little less cash, I'll show how it turns out.

IMGP0557.jpg

IMGP0561.jpg

A few that are REALLY wrinkled:

IMGP0560.jpg

IMGP0561.jpg

I can hear those new tunes already (in my imagination).

:Rock on:

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Making progress - Door Deaden and Speaker Install

I'm making some good progress on getting my doors deadened with Damplifier Pro and getting my speakers in.

After some wrestling, I got my passenger front door off and deadened:

IMGP0624.jpg

Got my tweeter in after using my Roto Zip to make a bracket from the old tweeter:

IMGP0627-1.jpg

IMGP0629-1.jpg

IMGP0630-1.jpg

Back doors deadened:

IMGP0647.jpg

IMGP0651.jpg

With any luck, I'll be wrapping up this phase of my project tomorrow!! Drivers door and speakers. :whip:

Last edited:
OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished Speaker Install

I finished my speaker install and it sounds really good. I'm not done with my audio upgrade, but I'm glad I went for the speakers first, now I at least have stock tunes!

Picking up where I left off from Friday, I loaded up and installed my rear door speakers:

IMGP0658.jpg

Made pigtails:

IMGP0660.jpg

Installed rear door speakers:

IMGP0661.jpg

IMGP0667.jpg

IMGP0669.jpg

Front Passenger door:

IMGP0672.jpg

Got driver door apart:

IMGP0675.jpg

Sound Deaden:

IMGP0676.jpg

Install Speaker:

IMGP0682.jpg

DONE:

IMGP0685.jpg

Now a bit of rest, let time go by so the 'ol bank account can recharge - then on to the next step!!

:favorites37:

1/4milecrazy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice install. similar to what I am doing, but if I may, I have a question for you. Your OP said you did not have a Bose system. My 05 Suburban has Bose, and I am installing the same speakers, yet when I went to install the rear speakers the SPR-60s don't fit. It looks like the Bose system uses 5 1/4s?

Does that make sense to any one else?

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crutchfield vehicle selector

My 05 Suburban has Bose, ... It looks like the Bose system uses 5 1/4s? ......
Does that make sense to any one else?

Hey there - I went to Crutchfield.com and chose your vehicle -

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Car/outfitmycar/car.aspx

When I do a 05 Suburban with Bose and navigation, go to speakers, rear door speakers, it says they fit with minor alteration- if they don't and are just too big for the holes/brackets, you may need to find suitable 5.25"

My SPR 60s fit in the factory brackets perfectly in the rear doors of my 04 Tahoe. The rear doors of our vehicles may have differences in speaker mount/size used.

Good Luck! Joe

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 6.5 re components needed a 3/4" spacer to not hit the window . So you can probably put the spacer in there, by the time the speaker enters the door it should be smaller diameter and should fit through the hole.

1/4milecrazy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ended up using the spacers included with the Alpine speakers. I will try to take some pictures when I do the other side.

Depth is not a problem, the SPRs are tiny speakers. I was determined to use the factory brackets without too much modification due to the covers that protect the speaker from dripping water. With the spacers I only had to bevel the edge of the factory bracket to fit them in the holes. I am guessing the Bose trucks have a 5 1/4 rear speakers. I also didn't have tweeter holes in the front doors, but the door panels are marked from behind which made locating where to put my holes super easy.

The other thing I encountered, I dont know if it is with the Bose trucks or with all of them, but after using the spacers, which obviously pushed the speaker out some, the surround was VERY close to the opening in the door panel itself. So I ended up opening up the hole in the door panel itself to be sure that the surround didn't hit the door panel when playing.

My next plan is to have my old trusty speaker box recovered with tan carpet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KnuKonceptz Cable FINALLY in!

I ended up using the spacers included with the Alpine speakers.

That's cool you got that figured out!! I'll take a look at your profile for some photos.

I'm jazzed I could finally order my Big 3 upgrade cables today. Knu had been out of stock on the cables for a bit, but now, I've got my order in!

big3.jpg

Time to gather the rest of the supplies to do my Big 3 upgrade. Likely after Thanksgiving at this point - need to get my Christmas lights (or holiday lights for you PC types) up on the house this weekend.

:High 5:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jethro779