Audio System Upgrade Thread 04 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I bought a 04 Tahoe last month and it has a blown driver’s side front door speaker. Knowing I also want to upgrade the head unit to one with USB & Bluetooth (and also looking at XM or HD radio) I started reading the audio system threads and getting reflective on how much money I want to put in to my new system - I’ve concluded about $1,000, but there will be more to it than that because of Big 3 upgrade with new dual post battery.

Since I have a blown front speaker with a stock sound system (it’s the OnStar without Bose), I decided to start at the speakers so I could at least hear sound from the front. I’m blown away at the prices of the components (Big $$$) and yet still wanting a pretty cranking system, I decided to go with these speakers that will handle 100 watts RMS each, a 4 channel amplifier that puts out 100 watts RMS X 4 and a powered sub:

Already purchased:

Front Door Speakers: Alpine SPR 60C

IMGP0490.jpg
IMGP0493.jpg

Rear Door Speakers: Alpine SPR 60

IMGP0491.jpg
IMGP0494.jpg

Not yet purchased - pretty convinced these are my components:

New dual post battery to facilitate Big 3 upgrade: Optima Yellow top dual post – also looking at Die Hard Platinum dual post. About $200

Big 3 upgrade using KNU Konceptz wiring and battery terminals and maybe fuse. Around $150?

Plan to use Dynamat in the doors ($100+) and use new speaker wire (Another $100?) throughout.

Amplifier: Rockford Fosgate R600 4D Prime series 4 channel amp 600 Watt RMS Class D Full Range 4 Channel. Rated RMS 100Watt X 4 @ 4ohm. Priced at about $220.

Amp install kit: $50ish?

Sub: Infinity Basslink 200-Watt, Dual 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer System. I plan to mount in the rear cargo area. About $180

Head Unit, looking at: Kenwood DPX 500bt (I am definitely not committed to this unit at this time). $200ish

Steering wheel control interface: About $50

My plan is to upgrade a piece at a time to ease the strain on my pocketbook as well as to allow time for install of each of the components – so each month, I’ll do around $200.00+ worth of purchases for the next step of my upgrades.

This month I’ll be mounting my speakers and moving on to the next piece. I’m thinking I will go for the battery next, followed by the Big 3, then amplifier – and so on, but then again, I might do my whole sound system first, then the battery and Big 3 – that way I’ll have my music sooner than later!

I have a 145 Amp alternator and my sound system is about 600 watts total with powered sub, so I’m thinking I should be fine in the juice department not needing to upgrade my alternator or use a capacitor in the system.

I am not an expert on sound systems and am open to learning, so any suggestions or constructive comments appreciated. If there are different components at around the same price that could be substituted that are “better” in some way, feel free to chime in and make suggestions.

Thanks, Joe :happy160:

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Battery - Went Die Hard Platinum

I was looking at my options for car batteries and after reading enough and getting $26.00 worth of bonus points at Sears (for a different purchase), decided to go Die Hard Platinum. This is not only a great battery (it's the same battery as an Odyssey, made by EnerSys), it will make my Big 3 upgrade easy! I thought I was going to wait and get this next month, but just couldn't help myself!!

IMGP0547.jpg

IMGP0555.jpg

:thumbsup:

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, looks like you got a decent plan. No way will you spend $100 on new wiring for the door speakers. Maybe $30. The alpine speakers are great. I used to have 6.5 components and 5.25 coax in the front doors. They definitely get loud. I am 100% sure they are going to drown out the infinity bass link. Your going to need more bass to hang with the speakers. My RE's would drown out 2 8's sealed @500 watts on rock and country, rap it wouldn't though. Just a heads up.

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suggestions for Sub?

I am 100% sure they are going to drown out the infinity bass link. Just a heads up.

Hey Shawn, Thanks for the heads up about the sub. If you have any recommendations, I'm open! What kind of power would you think I would need and what size of speaker? Was trying to stay around $200, but that might not be doable? How about under $300?

Maybe the Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch 300 Watt Powered Loaded 12-Inch Subwoofer Enclosure?

I just ordered some Damplifier Pro for my doors, so I will be deadening my doors and mounting my door speakers soon - won't get to my sub for a bit, but will need to know what will work for my application.

Thanks, Joe :cheers:

Last edited:

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That rockford 12 setup doesnt look too bad, I have never liked those all in 1 setups though. They just cant compete with a proper seperate sub/amp/tuned box.

What about this, http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_39895_Polk-Audio-PA-D5000.5.html

Thats a 5 channel amp to drive all speakers and a sub. It know its only 70w x 4 but it will run those alpines just fine.

Then http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45530_Alpine-SWS-12D2.html to keep with the alpine theme. This place shows to be out of stock, but you can call them and they may not be. If you get that 5ch amp and a separate sub make sure its a dual 2 ohm subwoofer.

Then this box for it http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_951_Single-12-Sealed-MDF-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Belva-MDFS12.html

Wire the sub down to 1 ohm to match the amp and your golden. and it looks like only $35 more than your original plan. and you will get way more than $35 worth of extra output and sound quality.

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will think on it

That rockford 12 setup doesnt look too bad, I have never liked those all in 1 setups though. They just cant compete with a proper seperate sub/amp/tuned box.

Thanks for your input Shawn. This gives me something to think about in the option department!

Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts