Are all 6L80(e) identical?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to rebuild a 6L80(e) over the course of a few months for two reasons.One I think mine is on its way out (180k, hard shifting, etc...) and secondly, I'm kinda just curious how to do it, and figured it was good when mine eventually ***** the bed.

I'm a little confused with sourcing a core. Will any 6L80(e) work? Or are they specific to the 6.2 models - i.e bell housing, bolt pattern, case length, etc... I can find the 6L80(e)'s all over the place in junkyards in Tahoe's, Silverado's, Yukon's, etc however all the ones I've seen have the 5.3L engine. Will there be any problems using this? Aside from the AWD system and components.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing I'd look for then is to see if different part numbers were used within the same model year. We can expect incremental improvements and it is possible that the torque converters are different.

Truck ones should all bolt up the same the only difference is probably between the 2WD and 4WD/AWD models.

Last edited: