Anyone with McGaughys Rear Shock Extenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 18 1/2 center bore to lip of quarter panel and 20 1/2 bolt hole to bolt hole on shock. Take note I didn’t turn the key for the shock to air up but I don’t think either would have changed much. Hope it helps. I actually got mine from Chris @iamdub

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Yours is supposed to be a 3" drop in the rear? My hub-to-fender measurement is 19.5" and the shock length is about 18" with the bags deflated since they're leaking. My wife's not-yet-lowered 2012 Yukon is 22.25" hub-to-fender and the shock length is 19" also with apparently leaking empty air bags. Either way it appears the McGaughys extenders lower the shock much more than the Belltech extenders.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could see that my shocks were extended a little. I forgot that when I back down my driveway the compressor comes on. I’ll start it and go a few feet and remeasure hub to quarter to see any difference. My tire size is 305/40/22 which may make a little difference.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Measuring from the hub center to the fender lip takes the tire out of the equation. It’s much easier to compare that way instead of fender to ground measurements.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point. I measured again after going to the store on flat ground and got 18.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting that yours appears to be so much lower than mine even though it’s supposed to be a 3” rear drop. You did say it was an 07 Denali, right?

Either way, I just ordered a set of the McGaughys brackets. Maybe it’ll make my rear shocks leak slower like they were before the drop and I can put that off a bit longer. I drove without the radio on the other day and that compressor was running quite a bit so I don’t want to burn it up. I’m sure I can sell the Belltech extenders for something. They would be much better for someone withOUT auto/mag ride since they can buy shorter shocks, the Belltech ones do move the shock further toward the rear.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You changed the actuator rods correct? If you did that and extended the shocks hopefully it’ll give your compressor a rest until a load is applied.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did change them and the sensor readings are both within .1v of the original readings.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes 07 Denali it’ll be interesting to see what yours is. All I used out back was 3” springs and I used 2” spindles up front.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since my kit is the Belltech kit and they use the same spring for the 3" and 4" drop and you just use the spacer under the spring to make it a 3" drop (which they say with Autoride is actually more like a 2.5" or 3.5") it is very possible the rear drop is slightly different.

I got the McGaughy's extenders the other day and I'm hoping to install them after work today. I also went ahead and ordered new rear shocks. One is already in but the other might be here today or Monday. On one hand I really want to try the extenders with my current shocks to see what happens but if the other new one does show up today I'll probably go ahead and replace them to save time doing it later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645