Anyone with McGaughys Rear Shock Extenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for an installed picture of McGaughys 33070 rear shock extenders (I think this is the only one they offer so any of their drop kits would have come with these). They're the same from 01-19 so I figured I'd try here as well. I currently have Belltech extenders and they only dropped the shock down 3/4" so they're still much shorter than before the drop. Since I have Autoride I'd really love the shock not to be so much shorter. I have the Belltech 2/3 drop. I don't want to just arbitrary buy more parts. McGaughys said their extenders drop the shock about 2.5" so I'd like verification. If you happened to measure the length of your shock length before and after installation, that'd be even better information.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
3/4” doesn’t doesn’t sound right for shock extenders . Most of not all brands should be one size and that’s around 2-3” drop for the brackets. Any lower and you buy lowering springs at that point. Are you sure yours is installed correctly ?

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's only one way to install them. I called Belltech and asked how much the shock extenders drop the shocks and they told me 2". They might move the shock BACK 2" to keep the shock more vertical (which is a good thing) but they definitely don't DROP it 2". I'm comparing side-by-side to my wife's not-yet-lowered Yukon Denali with the same suspension. The McGaughy's mounts appear to drop the shock down more but not move it as far back as the Belltech mounts. That may or may not be an improvement. I think the airbags are leaking now so new rear shocks may be in order either way and if I start brand new shocks off in this position it'll probably be fine.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll try to remember to take a pic later. I have McGauphy shock extenders for a 2/3 drop 07 Denali and they’re at least 2 inches. Don’t forget to trim the bump stops or get shorter ones. The bracket moves the end down and out a little just bc of the angle of the shock but it’s not like an L shape.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be awesome, thanks.

I do have shorter bump stops already installed.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I have djm extenders on my 2/4 drop and they drop the shock more than 2”. At first I rode with one blown air shock in the back and the other going out. Put in new shocks and never saw a difference in ride height. It’s the springs that hold the weight. I never bottomed out in the shocks but I was slamming the frame pretty hard so I did the free travel mod (cut the bump stops)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of DJM extenders which are almost identical to the McG except for the color. I placed the center of the hole where the shock would originally mount exactly 12" from a wall. Keeping the end of the tape on the wall and swinging the "smart" end over the extended location hole, I measured right at 16". This tells me it's a 4" increase in travel. Seems pretty straightforward. Or am I missing something?

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Big Mama. It certainly appears that they drop the shock down more than the Belltech brackets. If it isn't too much trouble, could you measure how long the shock is from center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole? And also measure from the center of the hub to the 1/4 panel edge so I can compare the measurements accurately?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts