Anyone pull a dump trailer with their Tahoe/Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious what kind of trailers everyone has towed. I thought about selling my truck and putting the money into a decent trailer. I'd like something big enough to haul my Massey Ferguson GC series tractor with loader and a rear attachment. I've been looking at dump trailers for a good while, and think I could justify a lighter-weight one for my needs. However I've also seen some decent tilt deck trailers that I can literally drive up into with the tractor to scoop out material. I'm just curious what type of towing setups everyone has. Also what type of aftermarket brake controllers? I do not have the factory controller in my Tahoe.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know someone in here has a dump trailer.... Fess up...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious what kind of trailers everyone has towed. I thought about selling my truck and putting the money into a decent trailer. I'd like something big enough to haul my Massey Ferguson GC series tractor with loader and a rear attachment. I've been looking at dump trailers for a good while, and think I could justify a lighter-weight one for my needs. However I've also seen some decent tilt deck trailers that I can literally drive up into with the tractor to scoop out material. I'm just curious what type of towing setups everyone has. Also what type of aftermarket brake controllers? I do not have the factory controller in my Tahoe.

Thanks again.

What's that setup weigh? We have guys on here that tow way over their rated capacity on flat ground. If you use the search feature or google with TYF mentioned, you'll pull up plenty of older posts with what folks on here tow with.

sick1166

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a water tank 12x6 trailer and 800 gallons of saltwater

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's that setup weigh? We have guys on here that tow way over their rated capacity on flat ground. If you use the search feature or google with TYF mentioned, you'll pull up plenty of older posts with what folks on here tow with.
I haven't purchased anything yet. Looking at smaller dump trailers that I can fit my tractor in (wide enough to fit tractor with belly mower). Thought it would be a handy thing to have.184fc2f371e278fc2e56e85510028f25.jpg

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a water tank 12x6 trailer and 800 gallons of saltwater
What is the salt water for? Forgive my stupidity... I live in Ohio lol.

isp5190

Reaction score

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

I pull a 18' car hauler with my John Deere 4200 compact utility tractor (front loader / rear blade) with no problem, although not daily. I did add a aftermarket bake controller (CURT 51140 TriFlex Electric Trailer Brake Controller) from Amazon $70. Easy install, wiring is right above the knee panel. I have pulled to trailer in the past hauling mulch and the tractor once, the brake controller makes a big difference on stopping, should not have pulled without the controller. I do wish I had a tilt trailer or at least a dovetail. I do watch the transmission & water temp and they have never went high. I have pulled the tractor 100 miles to our lake house on the interstate at highway speeds with no problem. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
nglauer

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull a 18' car hauler with my John Deere 4200 compact utility tractor (front loader / rear blade) with no problem, although not daily. I did add a aftermarket bake controller (CURT 51140 TriFlex Electric Trailer Brake Controller) from Amazon $70. Easy install, wiring is right above the knee panel. I have pulled to trailer in the past hauling mulch and the tractor once, the brake controller makes a big difference on stopping, should not have pulled without the controller. I do wish I had a tilt trailer or at least a dovetail. I do watch the transmission & water temp and they have never went high. I have pulled the tractor 100 miles to our lake house on the interstate at highway speeds with no problem. Hope this helps.
I think that's the route I may go. Either a tilt deck or a dump trailer. I actually saw a tilt style car trailer that was actually made to dump like a dump trailer. I think tractor time with Tim on YouTube actually had one as well. We have a prodigy controller on our truck but I like the setup Curt offers with the remote looking knob you can install in your dash.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that the short wheelbase of an SUV can make it hard to control a trailer during an emergency avoiding/stopping maneuver. A ¾ ton pickup can be a safer tow vehicle because the suspension/weight/length combination can more easily resist the forces created by the load you are pulling. Avoiding an accident is always cheaper than recovering from one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo