Anyone interested in a sub enclosure for between the front seats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine up about a year and a half ago, absolutely love the sound of having two 10" subs up front. Quite often, I'll turn my 15's in the rear off completely, let the two 10's do their thing.

Here's a couple pics of mine, I can do some better ones up if need be.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3416&highlight=celestion&page=2

Anyway..... anybody interested in a similar enclosure? I can extend the front all the way to the dash, and make the box a bit bigger if you were to mount the amps in a different location (under the seat(s)). Probably have enough room for two 12" subs, probably about 1.6-1.8 cu feet each. Total enclosure volume would be about 3.5 cubic feet. IF you wanted to, it would be possible to use a single 15" sub, and have it mounted facing the passenger footwell.

johnicd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am planning on doing the same thing with a pair of tens. I had to take my 18"s out of the back for work. Thanks for the ideas man, build looks good. But one question, where did you get those cup holders at? I need two for my new console?

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I would re-cover it with SUB box carpet...cuz it looks like a carpet. LOOKS good. Too much for me!

Where in NY? Im from LI

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm thinking it would be easy to make one...a much smaller one similar to the stock console for an 8" kicker solobaric L7. what do you think??

OP
OP
BigDaddy13440

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning on doing the same thing with a pair of tens. I had to take my 18"s out of the back for work. Thanks for the ideas man, build looks good. But one question, where did you get those cup holders at? I need two for my new console?

Mine is for a pair of 10's, Powerbass S-10's to be exact. I've got just about 2.25 cubes, and using some 2" PVC at 8" long, the enclosure is tuned to about 34hz.

It wouldn't have to be quite so massive, but I'm giving up a lot of room by having the three amps, distribution block and capacitor mounted underneath. The MDF is 3/4" thick, and the amps are 2 1/2" - if I just had the subs firing downward towards the floor, it'd be a good 3 1/4" lower.

One thing I did do, to gain some extra width: I fabbed up some 1/4" steel brackets, with two holes about 2 1/4" apart. Bolted them to the factory seat mount holes in the floor, at about a 45* angle towards the rear doors, then bolted the seats to the brackets. Moved the seats back 1 1/2" (I'm 6'7, needed a bit more leg room), while spacing the seats about 3" further apart. Now, I've got about 12 1/2" between the armrests, works great.

I originally was going to mount the amps under the rear seats, and build a box to fire my two 15's down at the floor - they would've fit if I flared the bottom of the box out to 16", and used 1" dowels/pegs to support the box off the floor. If I conformed the box to the dash, and went a bit wider at the front, I could've gotten about 3.6 cubes for an enclosure volume - the Celestions would work in as little as 1.4 cubes each.

The cup holders are just a basic 4" port, about 5" deep - I think I ordered them from PartsExpress.com, they were like $3.50 each. Holds a 32oz bottle of Gatorade or a 44oz Super Big Gulp from 7-11 no problem.

IF I were to do it again..... I'd probably mount the amp(s) under the seats, and spend a little more time making a box with a little more curvature to it by using fiberglass, make it flow a bit more. I'd probably sand it out all nice-nice, so I could paint it, or at least cover it in factory-matching vinyl. But, for me, for as much as I abuse my truck (working as a contractor), the carpet works just fine.

One high-excursion 12 (SSA, Intimidator Audio, DC, etc) would easily fit in a 2.5 cu ft box, and probably have even more output. I'm only running about 100 watts each to the 10's and it's tight, accurate and plenty enough for me, I couldn't even imagine what 2000 watts running to a massive 12" would do.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Looks good. I would re-cover it with SUB box carpet...cuz it looks like a carpet. LOOKS good. Too much for me!

Where in NY? Im from LI

I'm from Rome, about 45 minutes northeast of Syracuse.

johnicd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got a 3000 watt audiopipe to try out. Still deciding on the two tens. They will more than likely be DC as Rusty has always treated me right. If I can stick two in the front, I will be happier than a pig in shit. If not, I might just toss one twelve off 3k. Who knows, the planning begins. Thanks for the reply though man!

OP
OP
BigDaddy13440

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 3000 watt audiopipe to try out. Still deciding on the two tens. They will more than likely be DC as Rusty has always treated me right. If I can stick two in the front, I will be happier than a pig in shit. If not, I might just toss one twelve off 3k. Who knows, the planning begins. Thanks for the reply though man!

Airspace. It's all about the enclosure volume. If you want to even go with a 15" sub, you can probably squeeze it in, firing downward just in front of the heater vents, OR having it firing sideways towards the passenger side footwell. Yes, the box would be bulky, and take up a LOT of space.

For what I have, the two tens on under 200 watts are probably getting me about 132-134db, plenty enough for a daily driver. I'm too old to drive around bumping 2K, and I don't listen to much of today's popular rap, club or house music. Alice in Chains, Breaking Benjamin, Creed, Godsmack.... that's what I'm into.

IF you can get some DC 10's that will work in about 1.25 cubes ported, and handle 1000 watts each....... Owwww.... One 15" will go a hair lower, but will most likely take up more airspace, AND not be as accurate.

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo