Autocross in a 'Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you have slack elsewhere and the reduced movement from the firmer bar is making that slack move differently than it did when there was more side-to-side flex. It might not be actual contact between components (bar to control arm, etc.), but something like slack in the control arm bushings abruptly being forced to articulate slightly differently than how they've been worn in.

What if you roll about 5 MPH and stomp the brake, in forward and/or reverse? Try this with the wheels straight and with them turned in each direction.
So I’m only getting that popping sound when I turn L or R especially on uneven ground going up or down at very slow speeds, coming out of a standstill and after. Mainly on the left driver side.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m only getting that popping sound when I turn L or R especially on uneven ground going up or down at very slow speeds, coming out of a standstill and after. Mainly on the left driver side.

How many miles on the suspension? It showing right after the sway bar, I'd be pointed to worn control arm bushings. That is, if you could 100% rule out bar contact or loose bar bushings.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the suspension? It showing right after the sway bar, I'd be pointed to worn control arm bushings. That is, if you could 100% rule out bar contact or loose bar bushings.
new bell tech struts but everything else is original, 115k. I'm going to try mounting a camera down there. I checked the ball joints last week and I had no play...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new bell tech struts but everything else is original, 115k. I'm going to try mounting a camera down there. I checked the ball joints last week and I had no play...

Good idea! Focus it on them CA bushings. Anxious to hear your findings!

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea! Focus it on them CA bushings. Anxious to hear your findings!
CA bushings are good, sway bar doesn’t contact. Checking the strut mounting points next. Could it be the tie rods?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CA bushings are good, sway bar doesn’t contact. Checking the strut mounting points next. Could it be the tie rods?

Can't rule 'em out. It's just strange that the noise started right after installing the sway bar. I don't see that affecting the tie rod ends. It would have the most effect on the lower control arm.

OP
OP
fozzi58

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished the season with 4 events. Had a blast. I def need to stiffen up the suspension a bit more. Shorter sway bar links, some poly bushings and better UCA/LCA up front. Gonna build the read and get some 3.73s out back with a TrueTrac carrier and upgraded components.

Still working on finding Poly body bushings. And last but not least, den need some smaller lighter wider wheels. The wheels I have good as dailys but I need a 20" x 10" with a deeper offset to push the wheels out a bit more. Maybe -19 to -24. Wish I could do a test fit before I purchased.

Anyways - enjoy a few pics!

Attachments

• _DSC0166.jpg
    _DSC0166.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 8
  • _DSC0195.jpg
    _DSC0195.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 8
  • _DSC1731.jpg
    _DSC1731.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 7
  • _DSC1755.jpg