Any tips for better mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are serious about mileage and performance, cleaning up the exhaust with headers and a tune will help along a lower back pressure muffler, correct tire pressures, high mileage street tires and a wheel alignment with 0-toe. Then there is a clean air filter (OEM works fine), synthetic fluids everywhere, and new plugs and wires. For driving skills, use cruise control at every opportunity as it won't pump the gas pedal.

have to disagree with this in some regard, I have personally gotten better mileage in the foothills near ky and tn with a trailer by doing the hypermiling by accelerating downhill ( lightly) and not trying as ******* the other side going uphill. by doing this I got just as good as driving across flat ill, whereas if I used the cruise I would have gone slower downhill and it would have downshifted and screamed harder uphill, and the mileage would have been much worse.. but I do agree if the terrain is basically flat cruise will help maintain speed more consistently.

When you say type of tires. What do you mean by that. I have some bridgestone tires with chrome rims that the previous owner replaced the factory ones. Would lighter rims help any on mpg.

tread makes the single biggest difference, a large aggressive tread compared to a street/highway tread can have a very significate difference in mileage. example I had some goodyear duratracs on my avalanche and lost about 1.5 mpg no other changes, when I went to a snow tire ( they are a much milder tread) and I gained my mileage back. aside from tread would be size, running a 285/70/17 compared to the stock 265/70/17 the tire is going to be taller and wider, although not real drastic your fighting the extra leverage of the taller tire as well as the greater rolling resistance of the width.

type of tire, as in an LT (10ply light truck) vs passenger type (usually 4 ply ''P'' series) if you don't need the extra capacity of the heavier tire ( and is physically heavier not just the load rating) so your talking rotational mass,

a high mileage tire will have less rotating friction from harder rubber, where a cheaper or low mileage tire will be softer and more friction .

wheels can have an impact also, in rotational mass also, so something like a steel vs aluminum or large vs stock size.

and of course tire pressure. but I don't think I need to beat that one.

brand has much less to do with any of it.

Natedog57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there any consensus at which rpm (or range of rpm) the 5.3 returns the best fuel mileage?

Let's say at speed 70mph... is it best to have rpm's as low as possible, or does the 5.3 do better at/or over 2k?

I have a new-to-me Suburban (2005, AWD, 3.42 gears and new LT245/75r17) that is running about 1850 rpm @ 70mph & 2000 rpm @ 75mph.

Just wondering if I would see better economy if moved to 3.73 at some point in the future... I'm sure the 3.73 would be better for in town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas

Latest posts