Any tips for better mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROGELIO A GUZMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas. Any tips to get better mpg. Getting about 13.2 mixed. Maybe a drop in K&N, synthetic oil. Iridium plugs. Just wondering if any thing I can do. Thankz in advance.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping your drive train properly maintained with fresh fluid will help with MPG’s. When was the last time you had the fluids changed in your differentials, transfer case (if 4WD), or transmission?

Outside of your drive train, you mentioned plugs, but I’d also go with new wires as well. Might clean your throttle body as well.

Then of course, there is proper inflation of your tires.

Others will likely offer other suggestions as well.

OP
OP
ROGELIO A GUZMAN

ROGELIO A GUZMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keeping your drive train properly maintained with fresh fluid will help with MPG’s. When was the last time you had the fluids changed in your differentials, transfer case (if 4WD), or transmission?

Outside of your drive train, you mentioned plugs, but I’d also go with new wires as well. Might clean your throttle body as well.

Then of course, there is proper inflation of your tires.

Others will likely offer other suggestions as well.
Thank you. I just got this 04 denali xl. I'll start with all the fluids and follow your recommendations.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your Denali All Wheel Drive (AWD)? If so, you are losing 1 - 2 MPG there. Things I've seen in other forums are proper maintenance -- plugs, wires, coils, -- a professional tune, and driving like @Doubeleive says. If you do the professional tune, I've heard higher octane tunes (93 for example) can reclaim a mile or two to the gallon.

Oh! Almost forgot: Converting to eFans will likely reclaim you about .25 to .5 mpg, as well as a few other benefits.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes just boosting the the octane to 93 helps wonders. My 2012 Yukon SLE is getting 17.0 MPG and I put 93 in the tank religiously. Burns hotter, cleaner and a little extra kick never hurts.

There was a time when I came into 110 gallons of aviation gasoline, which is purple and 145 octane. A friend of mine wanted some for his 2 door 68 Ford Torino (metallic green) that he drag raced on the weekends. I suggested 1 quart of 145 to 3 quarts of 93 to start. The kick he got was very noticeable and his time was around half a second better than without it. The only problem was the engine ran extremely hot as 145 does. Didn't matter to him, he was hooked. Next run he mixed it half and half and blew the doors off of the competition. Over a second better than with just regular 93. Well, his third run ended in disaster. He mixed it 3 qts. 145 to 1 qt. 93 and he came screaming off the line. It sounded absolutely awesome...until the engine started coming apart and the car caught fire. The fire was put out pretty quickly and the body wasn't damaged too badly, except for the hood and fender wells. Looked like a gorilla was trapped inside and tried using a sledge hammer to get out.

A little boost in the octane really helps. Burns a little hotter, burns a little cleaner and gives you a little extra umph when you need it. And I get better MPG. And I must admit...on occasion I do fill her up with regular (89) to save a few bucks. Aloha!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes just boosting the the octane to 93 helps wonders. My 2012 Yukon SLE is getting 17.0 MPG and I put 93 in the tank religiously. Burns hotter, cleaner and a little extra kick never hurts.

There was a time when I came into 110 gallons of aviation gasoline, which is purple and 145 octane. A friend of mine wanted some for his 2 door 68 Ford Torino (metallic green) that he drag raced on the weekends. I suggested 1 quart of 145 to 3 quarts of 93 to start. The kick he got was very noticeable and his time was around half a second better than without it. The only problem was the engine ran extremely hot as 145 does. Didn't matter to him, he was hooked. Next run he mixed it half and half and blew the doors off of the competition. Over a second better than with just regular 93. Well, his third run ended in disaster. He mixed it 3 qts. 145 to 1 qt. 93 and he came screaming off the line. It sounded absolutely awesome...until the engine started coming apart and the car caught fire. The fire was put out pretty quickly and the body wasn't damaged too badly, except for the hood and fender wells. Looked like a gorilla was trapped inside and tried using a sledge hammer to get out.

A little boost in the octane really helps. Burns a little hotter, burns a little cleaner and gives you a little extra umph when you need it. And I get better MPG. And I must admit...on occasion I do fill her up with regular (89) to save a few bucks. Aloha!

My experience has been that the engines run cooler with higher octane fuels. Highest I ever used was 117, don't know what the equivalent is today, don't recognize the offerings on VPs website. Sunoco's 104 Unleaded was awesome though, I can tell you that, burned about a hundred or so gallons of that stuff way back when!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy