Any tips for better mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MainelyScott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 2016 and now a 2019 both with the 5.3, generally I average 19-20 mpg, on a trip almost 24, only time I get 13 is when I’m hauling the camper. Also, while 4WD will hurt mileage a little, AWD Doesn’t make much difference at all. I was taught to “drive like there’s an egg between your foot and the gas pedal”.

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
K&N filter and intake tube from AIRAID got me about 1.2 on my 2015 Yukon Denali. I also run Amsoil in everything. There's a lot of friction loss in the drive train. I also swapped the exhaust for a Gibson 3.5" system. That probably hurt more than helped because I love jumping on it. I drive a ton and my overall average is 16.6 and I drive pretty hard. I get 19+ doing 80+ so I have no complaints. My mileage numbers are actually off because I'm running 33" Wranglers so you have to add 4%.

jwth

Reaction score
A good, GOOD tune really helps. I drive a 2003 yukon. 5.3 and average just over 24 mph highway and 20 or so city-depending on traffic.
Find someone to adjust your fuel trims, ve table, timing table and a few other tables. IT IS WORTH IT
Driving it for over 3 years with no problems.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
You could always go with smaller wheels, take the 3rd row seat out (even the 2nd row seats if you don’t plan to use them), remove the spare tire (if you plan on not getting a flat ). All of that should free up quite a lot of weight thus improving your MPG slightly (and you acceleration). I guess you could always swap the V8 out for an electric.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good ideas. You bring up a really good point. It’s likely that my 17.1 MPG it due in part to 93 octane, don’t drive with a spare tire nor the third row seats. And I put the pedal to the metal distancing my ride from the “go slow in the left lane” MFs that seem to permeate our roads over here. Aloha!

Linderov

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced my factory exhaust with Cat back 3" Flow Master 40 series cause that is the sound I like and I have averaged a +.8-1.0 mpg improvement as long as I keep my foot out of the gas other than that it is really the only improvement I have noticed. that gets me to right around 16.0 mpg on 200k 4wd Tahoe with 5.3L

Thank you this sounds like good advice!

Linderov

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 2016 and now a 2019 both with the 5.3, generally I average 19-20 mpg, on a trip almost 24, only time I get 13 is when I’m hauling the camper. Also, while 4WD will hurt mileage a little, AWD Doesn’t make much difference at all. I was taught to “drive like there’s an egg between your foot and the gas pedal”.

That's great to hear. However, the trucks are not comparable. Big differences between 2016 and the '02 I drive. My 5.3 engine, properly maintained at 218,000 miles, will get max 17 mpg - that's highway ideal conditions, 65 mph. So 13.3 is a tad higher than what I get in winter, snow tires, short trips in city using 4x4, defroster going..., yes 13.3 is actually good.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Keeping fluids fresh will help with MPG, but the trade off is usually not monetarily beneficial as the fluid changes will cost more than any wasted fuel from old fluids. However it will help with wear and tear on your components and they should last longer. So take your pick...
2) Going 65mph vs 70mph will give you about 1 or 2 mpg on the highway. What most people do not realize is "Highway speed" in reference to MPG on the window sticker is based on 55mph, not 65, not 70 and certainly not 85... It goes back to when the MPG label started in the mid 70's which was in the throws of a maximum of 55mph on the expressway.
3) Accelerate slower
4) Coast, pretend like you have no brakes... This actually has an alternative benefit as it will save your brake pads.
All of this will also reduce the amount of wear and tear on your vehicle and repairs will be lower as well...
5) better flowing exhaust, or illegally gutting your cats (Not suggested)
5a) Many times catalytic converters will plug up robbing power and fuel economy
6) A Tune would help

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idling kills gas mileage so if you park turn it off and try to limit any warmup time to an absolute minumum. Speed is also a big factor best mileage is obtained in the 45 to 55 mph range these big boxy vehicles are not aerodynamic at all and friction from high speed driving against the BRICK shape will use a lot of extra fuel to push through. Driving habits anticipating stops and no jack rabbit takeoffs is big also.
I have an eldery neighbor lady that is a lovely person and just as sweet as she can be but if you ride with her you are in for a an adventure she is constantly on the accelerator and then on the brakes I cannot ride with her at all if we go somewhere I insist that I drive. She complains that her SUV gets poor gas mileage LOL

Denali_XL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey fellas. Any tips to get better mpg. Getting about 13.2 mixed. Maybe a drop in K&N, synthetic oil. Iridium plugs. Just wondering if any thing I can do. Thankz in advance.

Buy a Tesla?

J/k! I understand. I have a 2005 Yukon XL Denali. It's a big, heavy rig with a powerful 6.0L and it's AWD. And it's 15 yrs old! You just have to accept you won't get good gas mileage. 13.2 MPG mixed is exactly what the EPA lists for estimates. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.shtml

Correct PSI in the tires and drive like Grandma are the easiest and most cost effective way to save a little on fuel. And don't drive with big, A/T tires as that will knock down MPG. Most fuel saving add-ons are just expensive gimmicks and are going to end up with negligible results.

I get it though. It seems like the gas gauge needle races to the "E" on every start of the engine. It's a bit painful every time you pull up to the fuel pump. I feel like I was just here! lol.

The way I look at it is, I literally saved tens of thousands of $$$$ by not buying a 2021 brand new Yukon XL Denali. These used '04 - '06 generation Denali vehicles are one of the best value rigs on the used market right now, IMO. In my area you can find them in the $5k - $6k ish range. Which I think is amazing. Trucks in that year/generation on the other hand, are about double in price. These Yukon/Suburbans have proven reliable and have cheap repair costs. There are a TON of them still on the road with 200k, 300k+ miles on them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011