Any thoughts for water pump upgrade for gen iv 6.2 yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I helped him out alot if he has 3 times the horse power he should have 3 times the cooling. Now your worried about cost. Here I thought end result was about function. And working correctly. Ya what was I thinking .

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Can you provide a link to the radiator used? Does it have the restriction going to the surge tank?

You have a hotrod engine doing work truck work. When this blows up, put that supercharger on top of an 6.0 L96, even your crankshaft if you want, and heat issues will likely go away.

Are you thinking a cast iron block runs cooler than an aluinum block? I think either config would react identically under the same mods?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you thinking a cast iron block runs cooler than an aluinum block? I think either config would react identically under the same mods?

No, my thinking is the thinner cylinder walls are not helping, nor is the longer stroke. It's not much in either direction but times eight and that supercharger it will start to add up. The Tru-Cool and Intercooler depending on where they are placed can also affect radiator cooling performance, as can the radiator itself. I remember from thirty years ago, big 4 and 5 row radiators actually were a detriment in our particular drag cars, as were the front mounted intercoolers. Especially the intercoolers as my memory about them comes back. We had the option of running them between the motor and cooling fans with a shroud for cooling air, much more efficient for a daily driver.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried manually shifting and holding it in a lower gear to see if the extra RPMs help any?

If you are able to confirm that insufficient water flow at your towing RPM is the problem, you may be able to have a custom pulley made to speed up the WP.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM says we're supposed to tow with the 6-speeds in 4th gear for this very reason.

Which is why I'm wondering why the OP is against the higher RPM. Granted, the stroked and supercharged factors deviate hugely from the factory design. But, the physics still apply.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Sounds like it’s time for a new fan shroud design. You can have all the cooling potential in the world but if the air is blowing around the radiator instead of through it, there’s no thermal exchange from the approaching air over the radiator fins.

I wonder if your blades or shroud could be flexing under heat/load. Another scenario is the distance of the fan from the shroud. If it’s not encapsulated in orientation to the shroud design parameters the cooling air doesn’t pass over the fins.

Oh, wait, supercharger, is it a Eaton - roots type blower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
I went back and read the op and it was right there the whole time, Supercharged/"INTERCOOLED"/trans cooled/ac condenser/power steering cooler/engine oil cooler, The poor radiator does not have a chance. Im not sure how you would do it but move the intercooler which is charged with super heated air and your problems are over. im sure it will be a pita. Im just brain storming and spending your cash for you lol, But the lower air dam between the front cowl and forward crossmember is where i would consider a mounting area with minimal plumbing and add an electric fan to the assembly and ill bet it would work? Somthing tell's me your not strapped for cash and it would be a cool setup. Ill bet there is allready a ram air effect in that area.

Last edited:

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went back and read the op and it was right there the whole time, Supercharged/"INTERCOOLED"/trans cooled/ac condenser/power steering cooler/engine oil cooler, The poor radiator does not have a chance. Im not sure how you would do it but move the intercooler which is charged with super heated air and your problems are over. im sure it will be a pita. Im just brain storming and spending your cash for you lol, But the lower air dam between the front cowl and forward crossmember is where i would consider a mounting area with minimal plumbing and add an electric fan to the assembly and ill bet it would work? Somthing tell's me your not strapped for cash and it would be a cool setup. Ill bet there is allready a ram air effect in that area.

Yeah man. Its air flow. I dont even know the guy, but I know his stroker screw/roots combo will take his engine water temp up to operating temp within two blocks from stone cold. When you make 800 hp, you make way more everywhere. Good points were brought up about water pump rpm, but I have seen this many times. When you get into big power there are coolers everywhere, and they often require factory air deflector mods, and of course extrA coolers. Thermal run away is real. You get on the wrong side of your thermostat with 750 foot pounds and 500 hp at 2500 loaded and once it hits its limit, it goes nuclear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck