Air bubbles in the coolant reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blue devil stuff "might" be working, the bottom of the filler cap is now clean and dry before it had some small amounts of milky like residue and the clickity-clickity noise at start up is going away and coolant level hasn't gone down in about a week, it still has air bubbles in the reservoir though but preliminary results are promising.
do a exhaust gas test on it (they have test kits that can detect exhaust gases)

if it's negative then it can just be some old air that was not purged from the system. or was trapped in a high spot and got moved out randomly

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do a exhaust gas test on it (they have test kits that can detect exhaust gases)

if it's negative then it can just be some old air that was not purged from the system. or was trapped in a high spot and got moved out randomly
Crap Brent why don’t you read the whole thread before offering your advice? Come on man you’re killin me!

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See Post #1. Sheesh.
well if it's negative for exhaust gases

it's boiling the coolant or not enough percentage of coolant, distilled water was not used at some point ( distilled water does not boil)

the water pump is not moving enough volume of water (causing hot spots)

intermittent stuck closed Thermostat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well if it's negative for exhaust gases

it's boiling the coolant or not enough percentage of coolant, distilled water was not used at some point ( distilled water does not boil)

the water pump is not moving enough volume of water (causing hot spots)

intermittent stuck closed Thermostat.
it does it instantly on a cold startup or hot startup, and when it gets up to temp it stays where it should and never wavers. It's not boiling Brent there air bubbles, I have done the block test 3 times at various intervals and I have done a pressure test 3 times, first pressure test it was the water pump seeping, replaced the water pump, then the crossover pipe was leaking replaced that, system holds pressure now and passes a block test. yet still has air bubbles all the time day/night, hot/cold, sat & sun too.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
it does it instantly on a cold startup or hot startup, and when it gets up to temp it stays where it should and never wavers. It's not boiling Brent there air bubbles, I have done the block test 3 times at various intervals and I have done a pressure test 3 times, first pressure test it was the water pump seeping, replaced the water pump, then the crossover pipe was leaking replaced that, system holds pressure now and passes a block test. yet still has air bubbles all the time day/night, hot/cold, sat & sun too.

What, no party bubbles on holidays? LOL

curtis ronci

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so the wifes 04 has a mysterious coolant loss, no leaks and passes a pressure test, also passes the test for gasses in the coolant, I see bubbles in the reservoir??, i'm stumped. looses about a quart every 2-weeks. water pump was replaced and replaced the crossover pipe because both were leaking. oil looks fine and nothing under the fill cap.

Saabs built by Gm used to do the same thing I have had many.Gm sells coolant tablets for such issues THEY WORK.Be carefull of the bluedevil store stuff they clog passages.

curtis ronci

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wait it could be a head gasket compressing the coolant system causing the rad cap to let compression out.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
air bubbles on a cold start can still be there from the previous shut down

have you inspected the spark plugs for coolant sludge?

should look something like this if some is getting in the cylinder and the cylinder maybe much much cleaner then the others

iu9vwzhu1ypy.jpg

Don't use tablets or a fix in a can

I tried those (sodium silicate)and it did fix the leaks but caused issues with the Tstat and both coolant sensors..(unless you put dummy sensors an tstat by pass when you do the fix in a can )
you will have to do multiple coolant flushes to remove the "excessive left over "

in my old car with pitting sized leaks
better to pull the engine apart and fix it correctly.

do note it will lower the . thermal conductivity of the radiator and heat transfer from the engine(glass is an insulator)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
air bubbles on a cold start can still be there from the previous shut down

have you inspected the spark plugs for coolant sludge?

should look something like this if some is getting in the cylinder and the cylinder maybe much much cleaner then the others

View attachment 253763
already know there WAS coolant getting in the engine, but not anymore and the bubbles are still present

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo