Air bubbles in the coolant reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so the wifes 04 has a mysterious coolant loss, no leaks and passes a pressure test, also passes the test for gasses in the coolant, I see bubbles in the reservoir??, i'm stumped. looses about a quart every 2-weeks. water pump was replaced and replaced the crossover pipe because both were leaking. oil looks fine and nothing under the fill cap.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you filled the rad via its cap? id idle it open cap till up to temp, then top it off and cap it.

the heater hoses at the fire wall connections can drip ever so slightly you wont notice unless you touch it and feel the little drip.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you filled the rad via its cap? id idle it open cap till up to temp, then top it off and cap it.

the heater hoses at the fire wall connections can drip ever so slightly you wont notice unless you touch it and feel the little drip.
i've filled this thing up I don't even know how many times, found a leak at the water pump bearing seal, replaced that, then I found the crossover pipe seal was leaking, fixed that, everything is bone dry and still loosing coolant. heater hose T's and connections front & rear are dry and I have checked them multiple times to verify, radiator is new, no coolant under it or on the sides. no drips on the ground, no traces of coolant under the engine area.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my old regal used to eat a qt or so every week. dumped blue devil in the rad and it stopped eating it. i also never found a leak, later blew the engine up, pulled the heads to see if it was a hg and they looked good. so real mystery. but the BD stopped it from disappearing.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my old regal used to eat a qt or so every week. dumped blue devil in the rad and it stopped eating it. i also never found a leak, later blew the engine up, pulled the heads to see if it was a hg and they looked good. so real mystery. but the BD stopped it from disappearing.
I was thinking of putting something in it just to see what happens, not sure what's tried and true so much snake oil out there.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
so the wifes 04 has a mysterious coolant loss, no leaks and passes a pressure test, also passes the test for gasses in the coolant, I see bubbles in the reservoir??, i'm stumped. looses about a quart every 2-weeks. water pump was replaced and replaced the crossover pipe because both were leaking. oil looks fine and nothing under the fill cap.

Didn't @iamdub's brother's truck have a very similar issue? His was such a slow leak it wasn't even noticeable til it was too late. Think his was due to the 706 heads.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't @iamdub's brother's truck have a very similar issue? His was such a slow leak it wasn't even noticeable til it was too late. Think his was due to the 706 heads.
this is a 2004 5.3l vin t I don't know if it has those heads or not, I will take another close look under it and check again but i'm stumped on the air bubbles

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
this is a 2004 5.3l vin t I don't know if it has those heads or not, I will take another close look under it and check again but i'm stumped on the air bubbles
I was just putting it out there and tagging him. Hopefully he might have a good idea what direction to point you in.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can attest to the blue devil working. its thin clear liquid, no tar pellets to clog stuff up or leave a slime behind.

only thing is, if you flush your coolant you need to add more or the old missing coolant act starts up again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh