Air bubbles in the coolant reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
must have a large crack in a head or something. that other truck looks damn good tho.

looks like the same color as my 05 too.
ya it's kind of bewildering that it's now holding coolant, runs perfectly (aside from the startup clickety that's not nearly as bad as it was or doesn't do it at all) yet still has bubbles in the tank and it passes a pressure test and block test. The 05 is pretty nice I picked up some front pillars with the bose tweeters in them today and will be adding a sound system to it and putting some power fold and blinker mirrors on, I had the cluster refreshed already and added a trans temp to it. ordered the hoses, T's, coolant tank, wheel bearings, some steering parts and washer pump for it, gonna have to pull the reigns in on spending money on it for the moment but the parts are all shipped so have work to do on it this coming week

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's been 23 days since adding the blue devil, coolant level hasn't budged and it has been driven every day, the tickety-tick noise is gone and drives and sounds normal, the coolant did turn a funky darkish color but it was already mostly water. Appears to have fixed the problem for now. still see air bubbles though :shrug:

IMG_20200729_154437.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's been 23 days since adding the blue devil, coolant level hasn't budged and it has been driven every day, the tickety-tick noise is gone and drives and sounds normal, the coolant did turn a funky darkish color but it was already mostly water. Appears to have fixed the problem for now. still see air bubbles though :shrug:

View attachment 253675
Quit staring into the bubbles....I’m concerned for your mental health.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

View attachment 253675
Gotta check mine in my work van. I added Blue Devil to the coolant also--3/4 of the bottle anyway, couldn't suction anymore coolant out of the radiator.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta check mine in my work van. I added Blue Devil to the coolant also--3/4 of the bottle anyway, couldn't suction anymore coolant out of the radiator.
I put in 2 bottles, I poured as much as I could in the radiator and then I pushed the upper hose down to empty some coolant out and managed to get 95% of 2 bottles in it. what spilled on the ground looks like this now after the sun hit it

ground.JPG

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I put in 2 bottles, I poured as much as I could in the radiator and then I pushed the upper hose down to empty some coolant out and managed to get 95% of 2 bottles in it. what spilled on the ground looks like this now after the sun hit it

View attachment 253677
Bottle said don't pour anything in the overflow, and I didn't want to spill anything by cracking the upper hose--at the time. Guess I should've. This stupid van!

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I added the AC Delco branded tabs I did a "rinse and repeat" operation, draining everything I could then refill with water, then drain everything, then refill with water, until it was fairly clear.

Then crushed up the recommended amount of the tabs since there is no radiator access to put the tabs in as the directions said so I premixed the crushed tabs with distilled water and poured that into the upper radiator hose which I had removed from the radiator end.

Having the upper radiator hose loose worked well as a refill point as I could hold that up high. Added fresh Dexcool & distilled water to as high as I could before it begun to come out the upper radiator neck. Re-attached the hose and topped off at the surge tank.

That was over 5000 miles ago and other than having to add a bit after working out the bubbles it has not dropped.

Thinking of sending in a sample from a recent oilchange to Blackstone to see where I stand.

Your bubbles are a puzzle. Is it the stock radiator with the restrictor in place? May have already been covered, I know but I can't scroll back from a reply window on a smartphone!

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I added the AC Delco branded tabs I did a "rinse and repeat" operation, draining everything I could then refill with water, then drain everything, then refill with water, until it was fairly clear.

Then crushed up the recommended amount of the tabs since there is no radiator access to put the tabs in as the directions said so I premixed the crushed tabs with distilled water and poured that into the upper radiator hose which I had removed from the radiator end.

Having the upper radiator hose loose worked well as a refill point as I could hold that up high. Added fresh Dexcool & distilled water to as high as I could before it begun to come out the upper radiator neck. Re-attached the hose and topped off at the surge tank.

That was over 5000 miles ago and other than having to add a bit after working out the bubbles it has not dropped.

Thinking of sending in a sample from a recent oilchange to Blackstone to see where I stand.

Your bubbles are a puzzle. Is it the stock radiator with the restrictor in place? May have already been covered, I know but I can't scroll back from a reply window on a smartphone!
yes stock radiator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo