Another coolant leak thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have this small coolant leak that is driving me crazy because I can't find it. Some background info: 2004 Tahoe w/ 340k original mileage, all new 6.0 LQ9 installed 2022(maybe 6k miles so far in 2023), new heater hoses & T's, new coolant reservoir, new radiator, newer water pump moved from old 5.3. The leak is small enough that it is not hitting the ground or showing itself from water evaporating and leaving the white residue. But it is bad enough that I'm carrying pre-mixed coolant with me to top it off every 10 days or so.

Is there a way to determine if the head gaskets on the new engine are the culprit? I pray they're not. Oil looks clean. Isn't there some sort of exhaust gas test that can be done on coolant? How do you get a coolant sample for that test?

I suspect the heater core since it is original to the Tahoe, but there is no coolant leak from the evaporator drain, unless the A/C is on. With the A/C on, the puddle from the evaporator drain and surrounding area is very substantial....like A LOT! I believe the evaporator drain tube is directly below the A/C dryer, correct?

Occasionally I get a sweet or pungent smell from the dash vents right at start up and when I first take off but it goes away in ~1 minute or less typically. If the heater core is leaking wouldn't it present itself as a leak out of the evaporator drain tube?
Thanks

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get a light and a mirror and carefully inspect the underside of the water pump; there should be a weep hole. Look for witness streaks where coolant has leaked out and dried in the wind, before it could drip.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I checked the water pump weep hole but I will check again. Years ago that is how I found the original water pump was leaking, the big white stain on the bottom half of the pump.

Is the evaporator box drain where I mentioned, below the A/C dryer?
If the heater core is leaking would it be dripping from the evap/heater box?
Any ingenious way to check the heater core for leaks without completely disassembling the dash and evap/heater box?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sure you checked but I didn’t notice where you looked for damp carpet? Otherwise the pressure check is the way to go. It’ll show the leak. Hopefully in a place that’s easy to see and get to.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I did the pressure test with the rental tool and the system holds 15psi with no visible leaks. Then I started the Tahoe and let it run with the 15psi still holding. As it ran longer, I noticed something that might be dreadful. The pressure increased the longer it ran. Is that the concern that I think it is, engine compression pressurizing the cooling system?

I keep forgetting to pull the passenger floorboard mat and check for wetness, I'll check it today. If the heater core is leaking is that where the coolant shows itself? Does it not go out the evaporator drain in the firewall?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Did not think it was the problem. I was just surprised at using a "used" water pump. The second you tighten it to the block, it is used. I personally like to use new when there are moving parts and bearings and seals involved. Your engine, your call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts