burp coolant system, truck running hot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cryptothedog

Reaction score
So I replaced the thermostat, water pump pulley, coolant temp sensor, leaking radiator hose and coolant reservoir tank. My 2015 suburban (5.3) still gets up to about 3/4 or higher on the temperature guage before cooling down. I'm guessing there is air somewhere in my cooling system. I have tried the method I saw online to let it run with the coolant cap off to get the air out but after it gets up to temp it ends up boiling over and over flowing the overflow tank and just gets coolant everywhere. I even put a funnel on top to catch some of the overflow and it just overflows the funnel. Does this no matter how full the tank is. How do I properly bleed the cooling system on this truck to make sure all the air is out?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filling Procedure
Caution: The procedure below must be followed. Improper coolant level could result in a low or high coolant level condition, causing engine damage.
1. Install the lower radiator hose and/or drain **** to the radiator.
2. Using the J 38185 - hose clamp pliers , reposition the lower radiator hose clamp.
Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution.
3. If the left and right engine block coolant drain plugs were removed, perform the following:
A. Apply pipe sealer to the drain plugs.
B. Install the drain plugs.
Tighten the drain plugs to 60 Nm (44 lb ft).

4. Install the engine block coolant heater, if equipped. Refer to Coolant Heater Replacement.
5. Lower the vehicle.
Note: Use a 50/50 mixture of DEX-COOL antifreeze and clean, drinkable water.
6. Slowly fill the cooling system with a 50/50 coolant mixture. Refer to Approximate Fluid Capacities.
7. Install the coolant pressure cap.
8. Start the engine.
9. Run the engine at 2,000–2,500 RPM until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
Engine should reach an operating temperature of 90°C (194°F) and the upper radiator hose should be HOT.
10. Allow the engine to idle for 3 minutes.
11. Shut the engine OFF.
12. Allow the engine to cool.
13. Top off the coolant as necessary.
14. Inspect the concentration of the engine coolant using the J 26568 - coolant and battery tester .
15. Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and the engine compartment.

The above is from my shop manual, which is the previous generation to yours. Did you especially follow Step 9?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk