AFM Delete Double Checking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even risk drilling with an engine in the bay! That's metal shavings directly injected into the oil galleys. All it takes is one tiny speck of metal to take out a bearing or lifter.

Ditto.
I would prefer a full engine dissembly so you would be clear to use soapy water and a garden hose to ensure it gets a full rinse along with brushing.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys took the morning off work to take the cam out and here is what I found. At this point I am pretty bummed out, I don't know if I should just throw new cam bearings in it or look into having the bottom end rebuilt. I figure if the cam bearings are this bad the rest of it is probably the same condition. I don't want to rebuild half a motor when the rest of it is on its last legs. What should I do?
IMG_4829.JPG
IMG_4826.JPG

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace the cam bearings only, just to match the new cam.

Thats assuming you had no other issues, audibly, or visually with the engine that would create un-ease.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well guys took the morning off work to take the cam out and here is what I found. At this point I am pretty bummed out, I don't know if I should just throw new cam bearings in it or look into having the bottom end rebuilt. I figure if the cam bearings are this bad the rest of it is probably the same condition. I don't want to rebuild half a motor when the rest of it is on its last legs. What should I do?
View attachment 373973
View attachment 373974
Was it just that one cam bearing or were all of them like that? That one looks like the proximity to the damaged lobe was its undoing. Replacing a cam bearing can be done with the engine in the truck as I understand it, but I've not personally done it. I do agree with Brian though that rebuilding the whole bottom end shouldn't be needed.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Geotrash The bearing in the picture was at the very front and the damaged lob was near the rear, all of the bearing lobes on the camshaft had scoring on them so I assume the rest of the cam bearings look like this first one. I am doing research on how to replace cam bearings for now

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Geotrash The bearing in the picture was at the very front and the damaged lob was near the rear, all of the bearing lobes on the camshaft had scoring on them so I assume the rest of the cam bearings look like this first one. I am doing research on how to replace cam bearings for now
Bummer man. My heart goes out to you. Sorry for the $hitty luck.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about just using the cam bearings or throwing a shortblock in it. Any recommendation on where to get a shortblock from?
What about these 2?

Honestly if it was me, id just grab a good used 5.3 with low miles, replace the rear main seal and get rid of the vlom/afm system and call it a day. You’ll have less down time. Im sure you dont want to take the engine out of the truck but at this point you just have to rip the bandaid off.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly if it was me, id just grab a good used 5.3 with low miles, replace the rear main seal and get rid of the vlom/afm system and call it a day. You’ll have less down time. Im sure you dont want to take the engine out of the truck but at this point you just have to rip the bandaid off.
@FasterBass In my research it looks like a pulled motor would be like $3k VS a $1.5k shortblock from the links I sent earlier. I’m open to all ideas

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some consulting it turns out you aren't supposed to look at the cam bearings so that was my mistake. I think I am going to proceed with my AFM delete and pretend I never saw the cam bearings.