AFM Delete Double Checking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After some consulting it turns out you aren't supposed to look at the cam bearings so that was my mistake. I think I am going to proceed with my AFM delete and pretend I never saw the cam bearings.
You could do that. Since you weren't experiencing any oil pressure loss, you might just get away with it, too. Probably what I would do. It's probably what the Vice Grip Garage guy would do, too.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double checking, the L33 camshaft is compatible to be an AFM delete cam for the 08 5.3 LMG motor?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys took the morning off work to take the cam out and here is what I found. At this point I am pretty bummed out, I don't know if I should just throw new cam bearings in it or look into having the bottom end rebuilt. I figure if the cam bearings are this bad the rest of it is probably the same condition. I don't want to rebuild half a motor when the rest of it is on its last legs. What should I do?
View attachment 373973
View attachment 373974

I only see a problem with that hammered lobe. The bearing is fine. That's normal wear for the mileage. You think the ones running 300K+ look any better? The front one wears like that- it's normal. Clean all surfaces and slide that new cam in with lots of assembly lube. If I'm not mistaken, you have to have the rods outta the way to replace the cam bearings due to the tool needed. Or maybe it's just a PITA with all that in the way. If you go that far, you might as well do a full rebuild.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double checking, the L33 camshaft is compatible to be an AFM delete cam for the 08 5.3 LMG motor?

Yes. Its specs are identical to those of the AFM cam, just with all matching lobes. Your stock tune would be 100% compatible with the L33 cam. There are other similarly-spec'ed cams that would run just fine on the stock tune, but they're not as optimal and would benefit from custom tuning. If you can find an L33 cam, you can save a good chunk of change by not needing custom tuning. You can have AFM disabled from the tune for about $60. This is all my exact original course of action before a friend sold me the Stage2, causing me to change everything mid-build. Some friend, eh?

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub AFM already turned off with blackbear tune. My L33 cam came in the mail today, it looked a little weird so I was just double checking. Thank you for the assurance about the cam bearings. I will start to put it back together this weekend and take pictures for you good people.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub AFM already turned off with blackbear tune. My L33 cam came in the mail today, it looked a little weird so I was just double checking.

Ah. Then you're all set. Yeah, it does have a few visible differences. It's has a 3-bolt cam gear versus the Gen 4's single bolt. This is why you use the cam gear that has the Gen 4 timing triggers but Gen 3's cam bolt pattern.

Thank you for the assurance about the cam bearings.

Yup- let it ride. Don't beat on it and keep clean oil in it and you could double its current mileage.

I will start to put it back together this weekend and take pictures for you good people.

Document, document, document! If you ever have any doubts about something, having pics to refer to can bring peace of mind. Of course, ask others first if you're unsure of something!

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna start putting it together tomorrow but I have a few questions

Can I reuse the cam retaining plate?

How
Ah. Then you're all set. Yeah, it does have a few visible differences. It's has a 3-bolt cam gear versus the Gen 4's single bolt. This is why you use the cam gear that has the Gen 4 timing triggers but Gen 3's cam bolt pattern.

Yup- let it ride. Don't beat on it and keep clean oil in it and you could double its current mileage.

Document, document, document! If you ever have any doubts about something, having pics to refer to can bring peace of mind. Of course, ask others first if you're unsure of something!
@iamdub You think I can reuse the cam retaining plate?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna start putting it together tomorrow but I have a few questions

Can I reuse the cam retaining plate?

How

@iamdub You think I can reuse the cam retaining plate?

No. For less than $20, you have absolutely nothing to gain by trying to. That gasket holds a large volume of pressurized oil passing from one galley to the other. It's vital. I used Mahle B31822 and ARP 134-1002. I did not want the Gen 4 countersunk plate and screws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts