AFM Delete and California Smog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree more value with DOD delete but in CA you have to pass smog or no sale.
The presence or absence of cylinder deactivation, in and of itself, has NOTHING to do with passing smog testing.
CA does not use aftermarket tuning software, or a hex or binary editor, to check for the presence or absence of any features.
They check that every readiness monitor reports ready. They check for any error codes.

So far as 'detecting a different cam':
A 'Volumetric Efficiency' table is used primarily as a backup for and checkup on the Mass AirFlow sensor's expected accuracy.
Tuners call it the VE table. If the MAF is turned off, it becomes even more important.
The values in that table are a function of the ability of the intake manifold, heads, cam and lifters, and exhaust manifolds to flow
(although not necessarily of engine size - two different engine sizes can share quite similar VE tables).

If fear of CA smog testing skews you against upgrading the cam, GM has cams that are EXTREMELY similar to each other, except for the cylinder deactivation feature.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes this whole thread has been to prove that you can have a full AFM delete and still pass California SMOG as I have documented here

I agree I would be able to pass CA SMOG assuming no outside viewable changes.
A new owner along with a dealer might be able to find out if there is some level of AFM delete. If that is not a worry then you are good to go in CA.
I'm going to talk to a couple of shops here to see 1 - will they change lifters/cam and 2 - how much will it cost? Shops here are charging $120/hr.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just not bring it up. If the buyer asks if it had the AFM deleted they will be happy to hear it already has been. Other than that you can 100% sell a Tahoe that smogs AS-IS

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@2006Tahoe2WD That's not what I mean, I'm saying that you smog the Tahoe and then sell it smogged as-is.

You might be over thinking this.
If I remember right, the rule was the seller was responsible for smogging it, and it had to be within 60 days of sale or something like that.

Makes sense. The Tahoe I'm looking at has 68k miles.
So you haven't bought it yet, and are already worried about selling it?

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mikez71 The seller is "responsible" for Smog but that doesn't mean that two men can't agree to a smogless sale. Just outline the facts in the bill of sale (as-is, smogged or not smogged), get signatures from buyer and seller, and collect your money.

Most of the used cars I've bought have been without smog. I'll test drive the vehicle and want to buy it but the seller says they will smog it tomorrow and I'll usually ask to knock the price down a couple hundred bucks and buy it on the spot without smogging it first.

I don't know what the law specifically says about it but I understand that all sales are final. If you bought an as-is car with lowering springs on it and you didn't realize it until you got home that's on you not the seller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts