DoD/AFM delete question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
Replaced my collapsed lifters with OEM style and the truck never would run right. I am now doing the delete and I have 2 questions.
1: Do I just leave the sensor on the valley cover unplugged?
2: What will happen if I drive it without having it tuned out? I'd need to drive it to the shop as I can't do it at home.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you doing an actual DOD delete, then there will be no sensor in the valley plate
anymore... You use a DOD delete specific valley plate... Just leave the wiring hanging out
I put some tape around my wires and end of the plug just so it can't wear/ground out on anything

You can drive it to your tuner no problem... Put it in the manual mode of shifting and
manual shift the gears up to only 4th gear... DOD will not even try to actuate then

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The VLOM connector will remain unplugged because the non-afm valley cover has no plug.

What you can do is lay the old AFM vlom in the engine bay and plug in the connector, that will allow you to drive the Tahoe to the shop to have it tuned. After that the connector will remain disconnected near the oil pressure sensor.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can drive it to your tuner no problem... Put it in the manual mode of shifting and
manual shift the gears up to only 4th gear... DOD will not even try to actuate then

IIRC, AFM lockout works on the 6-speed by shifting into Manual Mode - Gear 5.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you doing an actual DOD delete, then there will be no sensor in the valley plate
anymore... You use a DOD delete specific valley plate... Just leave the wiring hanging out
I put some tape around my wires and end of the plug just so it can't wear/ground out on anything

IIRC, AFM lockout works on the 6-speed by shifting into Manual Mode - Gear 5.

Whichever it is, it might be irrelevant if the OP has an '07 or '08 and not an Escalade. They had the 4-speeds. I suppose they could drive in 3rd. It wouldn't be terrible if the tuner isn't far.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced my collapsed lifters with OEM style and the truck never would run right. I am now doing the delete and I have 2 questions.

What do you mean "OEM style"? You replaced the collapsed original AFM lifters with OEM AFM style lifters?

If you haven't started taking it apart yet, can you drive it to your tuner and have them disable AFM in the tune?

As the others said, in the delete, the VLOM will be replaced with a valley cover that will seal off the AFM towers in the block. So, you'll have no place to plug that harness connector in to. Seal off the exposed terminals inside the plug (hot glue in the end would work) and tuck it and/or zip-tie it outta the way.

2: What will happen if I drive it without having it tuned out? I'd need to drive it to the shop as I can't do it at home.

It'll have misfires if it tries to activate AFM. If it isn't disabled in the tune, it'll still be looking for the VLOM. Plug it in and drive in a manner to not let AFM activate- stay in manual mode and 5th or 4th gear if you have a 6-speed. If you have a 4-speed, maybe driving in third would keep it from activating. I don't remember. How far away is your tuner?

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the AFM delete on my 2018 Yukon Denali with new cam & LS7 lifters a few weeks ago. Plugged the AFM oil ports then reinstalled everything. I already had AFM tuned out. Runs way better than before with extra power over the full rpm range and no codes since startup.

gdddup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After dod delete driveablity is horrible without a tune(shifts hard, 4cyl limp mode, stumble, etc) plug in the old vlom to get by

Attachments

• 20230930_103158.jpg
    20230930_103158.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
One more question, The torque specs I found for the cam sprocket bolt says 50 lbs then 50 degrees indicating that it is a TTY bolt. My kit cam with a harmonic balancer bolt but not a cam sprocket bolt. Can I reuse this bolt or do I need to order a new one?

baychef

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok so i got one for yall im obviously in this forum for more detailed info so i did a full dod mechanical delete lifters, cam , diablo and all ,but me and my buddy who is a ase master tech for mopar argued over the vlom we blocked the towers but left in the vlom and connected it, we diabled afm with diablo and it ran great just with p0430 and p0420 but it only threw those codes in the canned tune so diablo said try in modified stock it ran with no codes but like shit so we tried the diablo octane tune ran great no codes initially was able to data log and send lew the logs , but it started throwing codes again even though his 10k $ snap on scanner showed everything within specs. heres where shit goes south my tech decided we need to unplug the solenoids on the harness next to the throttle body so we did that and started it, it felt to me it was running on 4 cylinders so i killed it, replugged that connection and started it , it popped and blew 1 rod out the block and oil pan. 2018 chevy silverado 1500 with direct injection. id really appreciate yalls educated guess on why this happened, alread got a new donor motor with 30k mi and are rebuilding
thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn