AFM Delete and California Smog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read countless threads on multiple forums and on sites selling "tuning" software or services. I don't yet have a feeling that how the CA software currently works is described with any authority. You ask 30 people and you get at least 30 different opinions. It is interesting that HP Tuners doesn't seem to describe that they can pass the CA computer test but BB says they pass. It still remains somewhat of a mystery. The common pieces of info. that come up involve the VIN, a table that CA CARB has and a file check sum (CVN). The CVN is two bytes.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read countless threads on multiple forums and on sites selling "tuning" software or services.
I don't yet have a feeling how the CA software currently works is described with any authority.
Any pcm /ecm / tcm tuner that publicly explains this in too much detail, will ruin it for both future tuners and any future customers unwilling to learn how to self-tune.
You ask 30 people, and you get at least 30 different opinions.
If that person has never tuned their or anyone else's pcm / ecm / tcm, that opinion ain't even a piece of schidt, it's a fart with no substance.
HP Tuners doesn't seem to describe that they can pass the CA computer test, but BB says they pass.
HPTuners is a tuning software dealer. They will never take ANY responsibility for anything anyone does with their software.
BlackBear is a pro tuner who (probably) uses HPTuners, might use EFI-Live (almost sure he does not use TunerCAT).
The common pieces of info that come up involve the VIN, a table that CA CARB has and a file check sum (CVN). The CVN is two bytes.
Pretty easy to get the VIN right - leave it the hell alone.

Which table (or tables) does the CARB have, or have access to?
Very strongly doubt that CARB can read or detect ANY tables, because
the CARB never downloads / reads pcm / ecm /tcm files.
Know for a fact that CARB has checksums and checksum verification numbers on hand for GM diesel vehicles (DuraMax LB7) since '01.
Don't know about Ford or Chrysler-Fiat or any others - but I very highly doubt that even the emissions testing equipment at a STAR test site can detect anything other than checksums and cvns, which don't need to be downloaded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to throw chaos into this thread, Jasper engines has a CARB certified AFm deleted reman block they can sell in California. So this topic is acknowledged at a high level

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any pcm /ecm / tcm tuner that publicly explains this in too much detail, will ruin it for both future tuners and any future customers unwilling to learn how to self-tune.

If that person has never tuned their or anyone else's pcm / ecm / tcm, that opinion ain't even a piece of schidt, it's a fart with no substance.

HPTuners is a tuning software dealer. They will never take ANY responsibility for anything anyone does with their software.
BlackBear is a pro tuner who (probably) uses HPTuners, might use EFI-Live (almost sure he does not use TunerCAT).

Pretty easy to get the VIN right, leave it the hell alone.

Which table (or tables) does the CARB have, or have access to?
Very strongly that CARB can read or detect ANY tables; they never download / read pcm / ecm /tcm files.
Know for a fact that CARB has checksums and checksum verification numbers on hand for GM diesel vehicles (DuraMax LB7) since '01.
Don't know about Ford or Chrysler-Fiat or any others - but I very highly doubt that even the emissions testing equipment at a STAR test site can detect anything other than checksums and cvns, which don't need to be downloaded.

(2006Tahoe2WD, a private message awaits you.)

I would have to dig up the link again regarding the table CARB is purported to have. The table is a list of check sums found on vehicles like the one being tested. For example if in CA there are 5,000 2016 5.3 Tahoes there should be a fairly limited number of different check sums that CARB "sees". If your check sum is "unique" then you don't pass.

If the answer to all of this is just right the original check sum in the file after "tuning" that works....IF..... the car computer and CARB doesn't recalculate the check sum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar