Actron CP9690 Scan Tool- Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a nice and well-equipped scan tool for $200 a couple years ago. Had I known about the TechII (or clones) being available for ~$300, I definitely would've splurged. These are one of those things where you either spend $50-$100 on one just to read and erase codes, or go all out and have everything you'll ever need and then some.

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a nice and well-equipped scan tool for $200 a couple years ago. Had I known about the TechII (or clones) being available for ~$300, I definitely would've splurged. These are one of those things where you either spend $50-$100 on one just to read and erase codes, or go all out and have everything you'll ever need and then some.

I learned 40-45 years ago, buying stereo gear, that it costs me more to try and buy "sensibly" than it does to buy a little "more" the first time. It saves me from having to upgrade because I'm not satisfied.

I'm better off buying gadgets and toys I can grow into.

joe

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hold on Joe! I just remembered something that I had forgotten. Does your Tahoe have the OBD-I computer system or OBD-II? And don't just verify by the plug because some had the OBD-II port but the OBD-I computer system.

The Tech-2 and I think that Actron were made for OBD-II. You'd need a Tech-1 or OBD-I compatible scan-tool if you have the older system.

To pull codes back then, we bent a paper clip and jumped two pins on the ALDL and the CEL would flash in code the codes 3x each before moving on to the next.

Now that I've already ordered, it occurs to me to ask--

How steep is the learning curve on the Tech-2?

joe

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I've already ordered, it occurs to me to ask--

How steep is the learning curve on the Tech-2?

joe

I don't know, still learning how to use it! Not bad, just take your time and go slow, do all the tests in the beginning with the loop back connector and such which the paper manual will cover. If yours comes with the Candi module, you won't need that for your truck so you can leave it off. The menus look different between models and even years within a model.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When working with GM Tech 2 is the best you can get. No other scan tool is going to give you the level of integration with your vehicle and its one of the only scan tools that will give you bi control of pre 96 obd I vehicles. Most scan tools even the high end ones will only allow you to get live data and read and clear codes.

Since Tech 2 is only good up to 2013 models and only a few of them as GM started making the change to the Global platform in 2009 it may be wiser to obtain the VCX Nano on Amazon for GDS2. This will allow the Tech2 back to 92 and up to previous said 13. It uses a emulator called Tech2Win which is used on your laptop and connected to the OBD1 or 2 by the connector then to a laptop. The true bonus is that you will also have the GDS2 system up thru 2018 model year. This will allow you to also with a 3 day subscription download updates to your modules on the vehicles when and if you get a more data crazy vehicle.

The cost of this wonder is about 100 dollars and I know it works.

By the way I am not in any way related to the company pushing this.

KJ

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
When working with GM Tech 2 is the best you can get. No other scan tool is going to give you the level of integration with your vehicle and its one of the only scan tools that will give you bi control of pre 96 obd I vehicles. Most scan tools even the high end ones will only allow you to get live data and read and clear codes.

Since Tech 2 is only good up to 2013 models and only a few of them as GM started making the change to the Global platform in 2009 it may be wiser to obtain the VCX Nano on Amazon for GDS2. This will allow the Tech2 back to 92 and up to previous said 13. It uses a emulator called Tech2Win which is used on your laptop and connected to the OBD1 or 2 by the connector then to a laptop. The true bonus is that you will also have the GDS2 system up thru 2018 model year. This will allow you to also with a 3 day subscription download updates to your modules on the vehicles when and if you get a more data crazy vehicle.

The cost of this wonder is about 100 dollars and I know it works.

By the way I am not in any way related to the company pushing this.

KJ
Have a link?

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Tony

I just typed VCX nano in the amazon search page and it comes right up. The only thing to look at is if you want usb or usb/wifi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick