Actron CP9690 Scan Tool- Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm partial to the Tech-2 for our trucks Joe, but consider what Scotty has to say:

Thanks. I thought I remembered seeing that name in here, but it didn't come up in my web searches, so I wasn't sure. LOL This is the kind of search that can quickly drown you in information overload. Stuff just starts running together.

Are you saying the cost of the Tech-2 is in 'diminishing returns' territory?

joe

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying the cost of the Tech-2 is in 'diminishing returns' territory?

For $300-$350 it can do everything you need it to do, even dealer level stuff. It will quickly pay for itself in time and money saved. When these things used to cost $3-4K, yes, they were out of my league and horse sense for acquiring one.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a '95 Tahoe...

Does anyone have experience with the Actron CP9690 scanner? What do or don't you like about it?

https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP969...51063783&s=gateway&sr=8-1&tag=amznsearchie-20

Is there another unit you think is better?

All information is welcome and appreciated, y'all.

joe

Hold on Joe! I just remembered something that I had forgotten. Does your Tahoe have the OBD-I computer system or OBD-II? And don't just verify by the plug because some had the OBD-II port but the OBD-I computer system.

The Tech-2 and I think that Actron were made for OBD-II. You'd need a Tech-1 or OBD-I compatible scan-tool if you have the older system.

To pull codes back then, we bent a paper clip and jumped two pins on the ALDL and the CEL would flash in code the codes 3x each before moving on to the next.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $300-$350 it can do everything you need it to do, even dealer level stuff.
Sorry for the hijack. Will it do ABS flush procedure?

Pretty certain that's just wishful thinking on my part.

If there was a tool that even just did that I'd buy it!

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Tech-2 is the tool that does that on these trucks.

Wish I knew this two years ago when I spent a couple weeks, and a couple gallons brake fluid trying to get air out of my ABS.

A quick look on eBay shows genuine GM for $2-3k and the rest from China. Any particular one I should look out for?

Edit
In the last photo this one for $156 on eBay says it supports ABS bleeding. I thought I had to spend over $1k to get something that would do the ABS.

VIDENT iLink400
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322824891739

Any experience advice appreciated. Apologies for the hijack.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I knew this two years ago when I spent a couple weeks, and a couple gallons brake fluid trying to get air out of my ABS.

A quick look on eBay shows genuine GM for $2-3k and the rest from China. Any particular one I should look out for?

Edit
In the last photo this one for $156 on eBay says it supports ABS bleeding. I thought I had to spend over $1k to get something that would do the ABS.

VIDENT iLink400
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322824891739

Any experience advice appreciated. Apologies for the hijack. I think your 95 has ABS too homesick?

That Vident looks like a good deal. GM Tech-2s were made by OTC, Bosch and Vetronix. Vetronix at least, had theirs made in China and since the patents have probably expired, that's why we can get them now for so much less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan