Actron CP9690 Scan Tool- Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Just did a quick search and found your original purchase thread swathdriver.

Probably should started my own thread as this one was for an OBDI scan tool. Sorrys.

Any ideas if that Vident will do everything I need it to on my 96. I'm desperate to flush my ABS, and also check my IAC and MAF that you recommended in another thread?

I have no plan to ever sell my truck so I'd rather have something that does anything I might need it to. Do you know what I'd be missing by getting the Vident? Anything useful/essential? Ready to pull the trigger. Thank you.

Another Edit
I'll just post the question and get out of homesick's thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hold on Joe! I just remembered something that I had forgotten. Does your Tahoe have the OBD-I computer system or OBD-II? And don't just verify by the plug because some had the OBD-II port but the OBD-I computer system.

The Tech-2 and I think that Actron were made for OBD-II. You'd need a Tech-1 or OBD-I compatible scan-tool if you have the older system.

To pull codes back then, we bent a paper clip and jumped two pins on the ALDL and the CEL would flash in code the codes 3x each before moving on to the next.

http://www.oemtools.com/homeproducts/generalmotors.html

This link says the Tech-2's good back to '92 models, mine's a '95- it takes an OBD-1 according to anything I've read

I saw this qoute in one of the ebay listings for Tech-2 clones-"It Can Only Support GM Cars, No Trucks". How worrisome is that?

Can you recommend a seller and/or specific needed accessories?

joe

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Just did a quick search and found your original purchase thread swathdriver.

Probably should started my own thread as this one was for an OBDI scan tool. Sorrys.

Any ideas if that Vident will do everything I need it to on my 96. I'm desperate to flush my ABS, and also check my IAC and MAF that you recommended in another thread?

I have no plan to ever sell my truck so I'd rather have something that does anything I might need it to. Do you know what I'd be missing by getting the Vident? Anything useful/essential? Ready to pull the trigger. Thank you.

Another Edit

Man, there's good information accumulating here. I don't mind the topic widening a little.

joe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this qoute in one of the ebay listings for Tech-2 clones-"It Can Only Support GM Cars, No Trucks". How worrisome is that?
I noticed that too. But if it's the OEM clone it has to work. They probably mean big trucks I'm guessing?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This link says the Tech-2's good back to '92 models, mine's a '95- it takes an OBD-1 according to anything I've read

joe
I think they mean the big commercial trucks, there is a vehicle list on some sellers descriptions there are a few random makes/models that are not supported with the tech2 all our gmt800/900 are supported, when I bought mine it came with everything all the plugs and adapters, power adapters, software and a thumb drive to unlock tis2.
this attached photo shows the vehicles NOT supported by the tech2, all others not listed are covered by the tech2

list.JPG

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Another Edit

From the ads description David, that looks like it will do everything you need it to and be fancier than the old Tech-2. It says you have to go to their website after purchase and get 1 free download of specific software. Make sure it comes with the right adapter.

joe

No worries on that statement Joe, that's for TopKicks and Kodiaks and the like. They come with all the adapters so whichever data port yours has they'll provide one. Glad I was wrong, I like having the tool that was made for the manual even if its not the latest and greatest and limited to GM products and collaborations only.

As for a good vendor, I'd have to look. Check ebay and look for one with good feedback and reviews. Most will come from Hong Kong or mainland China. Decide whether or not you want the case, I like it, some make their own. Make sure you get one with the last software update, 33.004.

Oh, glad you kept looking and my poor memory didn't louse things up!

This seller has sold 19 of them and has everything but the case:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tech2-Diag...aa607f88:m:mPMlUUoIr_J_GR4ATq9YgPw:rk:11:pf:0

OP
OP
homesick

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that too. But if it's the OEM clone it has to work. They probably mean big trucks I'm guessing?

That was my guess too, but a guess isnt enough if the truth's available.

joe

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros