#8 Cylinder Spark Plug = nightmare!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hurlz07Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure by now someone has posted about this before. But I felt the need to share. I changed my spark plugs and wires this weekend. What I thought was going to be a 40 min job turned in to a 2.5 hour job! The #8 Cylinder spark plug is ALMOST impossible to get a socket and wrench on. I have the cuts and bruises to prove it! I ended up realizing that I could reach it from below, with some (only very little) access from in the wheel well with the wheel turned full left and the inner wheel well liner pulled down.

At the end, I used the 5/8" 1/4" drive spark plug socked, then I was able to slip on a knuckle, with an 8 inch extension, then a 4 inch extension, then my wrench, all while lying on my back under the truck. You have to slip it in between the catalytic converter, some tubing, some heat shielding, and finally to your engine-spark plug.

FYI - My old plugs (after 96k miles) were fairly gunked up. One had some build up at the tip. I can see the slight improvement with the new wires and plugs. I went with what Autozone had which was AC Delco plugs and Bosch wires.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
matco_zps17858e1c.jpg

matco spark plug socket set. Best $100 I've ever spent. The shortest one gets in there with no problem. The extensions are wobble and have a magnetic spark plug "holder" thing on the inside of the socket. I had the same issue as you and ran across a friend with a set of these and fell in love. Bought my own set last year and have changed plugs on 4 or 5, 02-up trucks, avy's, and hoes since. Takes me about 30 min to change all of them now from the top. I am not a mechanic either, just get stuck helping people out all the time lol.

I have also never had good luck with the aftermarket plug wires on these motors. I always run the acdelco or packard (oem brand that cam on my camaro). They are cheap on rock auto or amazon.

Glad you got them changed though!

Last edited:

jericho121

Reaction score
I did mine this weekend and I was able to get that infamous #8 plug and wire from the top. I just took my time since it was also hot in the northeast. Lots of twisting and pulling off and finally I got it off. Put some anti-seize lube on the spark plug threads and some di electric grease on the wire boot before install and hopefully it will be easier next time.

UcanthavemyYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey pwtr02ss thank you for your post on the Matco spark plug socket set!! I just changed my spark plugs and wires too and have the cuts and bruises for my hard labor too!! I will get me as set this week keep them in my truck!! This site ROCKS!!

2007z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
matco_zps17858e1c.jpg

matco spark plug socket set. Best $100 I've ever spent. The shortest one gets in there with no problem. The extensions are wobble and have a magnetic spark plug "holder" thing on the inside of the socket. I had the same issue as you and ran across a friend with a set of these and fell in love. Bought my own set last year and have changed plugs on 4 or 5, 02-up trucks, avy's, and hoes since. Takes me about 30 min to change all of them now from the top. I am not a mechanic either, just get stuck helping people out all the time lol.

I have also never had good luck with the aftermarket plug wires on these motors. I always run the acdelco or packard (oem brand that cam on my camaro). They are cheap on rock auto or amazon.

When you say "the shortest one," do you mean: the 4" extension with 5/8 swivel socket or the 2.5" extension with 9/16 swivel socket?

I'm planning on my first spark plug change so I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

russellshireman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
matco_zps17858e1c.jpg

I live by these. Recommend them over any Snap-On or Craftsman or Mac.

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No extensions needed.. Just take your spark plug socket, slip it over the spark plug while laying on top of the engine. Take a gear wrench (correct size) and put it over the hex part of the spark plug socket and start turning. Plenty of room! Took me less then 2 minutes to do it that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vadenA77