6L80 video for 1000+ hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Video.. When I looked around to find a builder for my 6l80E in 2020 no-one
would even say it would hold together with 550HP. (towing heavy, heavy SUV)
I went with the Circle D hard parts...
But I think they can hold up in cars that are a lot lighter than our stuff and of course
not towing a 9500lb camper !!!!

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw the pop-up, but haven't watched it...

I mean, after years now in production, these transmissions don't seem to fail much from the geartrain hard parts as much, at least compared to the earlier 4L units. It's the other "stuff" that fails.

And wasn't the CTS-V equipped with the 6L90? IDK

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw the pop-up, but haven't watched it...

I mean, after years now in production, these transmissions don't seem to fail much from the geartrain hard parts as much, at least compared to the earlier 4L units. It's the other "stuff" that fails.

And wasn't the CTS-V equipped with the 6L90? IDK
Yeah I'm pretty sure CTS were almost all 6l90E's (maybe depending on year mode) and
the 3/4 ton trucks got the 6l90e as well... Not a whole lot of difference between the
80 & 90 as far as what I've seen. Just a bit more HD (barely)

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure CTS were almost all 6l90E's (maybe depending on year mode) and
the 3/4 ton trucks got the 6l90e as well... Not a whole lot of difference between the
80 & 90 as far as what I've seen. Just a bit more HD (barely)
The 6L90s behind Duramax engines have an extra friction and steel in clutch packs however the 80 can be upgrade with extra frictions in the ones that matter.

Most CTS models had 6L45s or 6L80s; only the Vs got the 6L90s. I believe the same or similar TC was used in the ZL1 camaros...

Good Video.. When I looked around to find a builder for my 6l80E in 2020 no-one
would even say it would hold together with 550HP. (towing heavy, heavy SUV)
I went with the Circle D hard parts...
But I think they can hold up in cars that are a lot lighter than our stuff and of course
not towing a 9500lb camper !!!!
Odd you weren't able to find a builder as those can handle north of a grand with a planet that has a billet drive plate, tig-welded 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch hub along with a Sonnax 4-5-6 billet steel clutch hub (45-tooth powerglide spec version) along with the other usual parts and mods plus a tune.

No comment on the video...

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. He mentioned Yellow Belly Racetrack. That's just a few miles from where I live.

I've never really been a gear head myself (my Dad always had stuff such as brakes and such done by a mechanic), aside from LS Fest Texas last year I took my youngest boy to...Anyways, I was passing by that place one night around 9pm and saw a huge crowd.

... Maybe I can go as a "spectator" sometime...

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6L90s behind Duramax engines have an extra friction and steel in clutch packs however the 80 can be upgrade with extra frictions in the ones that matter.

Most CTS models had 6L45s or 6L80s; only the Vs got the 6L90s. I believe the same or similar TC was used in the ZL1 camaros...

Odd you weren't able to find a builder as those can handle north of a grand with a planet that has a billet drive plate, tig-welded 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutch hub along with a Sonnax 4-5-6 billet steel clutch hub (45-tooth powerglide spec version) along with the other usual parts and mods plus a tune.

No comment on the video...
No one really would say it would hold together for my 6.2L with supercharger
towing my 9500 lb camper... I'm sure if I wasn't towing they would have said OK.
Couple of places just said use a 4l80e... I was NOT going to do that.
Circle D had all the good parts in their stage 3 kit. Had to even send back
some hard parts for "core" charge. I had my local builder put it all together.
There were good and specific instructions included. My local guy does mostly
stockish and mild builds. It's been working like a champ so far!!!

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one really would say it would hold together for my 6.2L with supercharger
towing my 9500 lb camper... I'm sure if I wasn't towing they would have said OK.
Couple of places just said use a 4l80e... I was NOT going to do that.
Circle D had all the good parts in their stage 3 kit. Had to even send back
some hard parts for "core" charge. I had my local builder put it all together.
There were good and specific instructions included. My local guy does mostly
stockish and mild builds. It's been working like a champ so far!!!
Yep, towing/heavy duty usage is always tough on transmissions, regardless of how well or strong they are built. Glad it's working out well for you.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, towing/heavy duty usage is always ******* transmissions, regardless of how well or strong they are built. Glad it's working out well for you.
You past guidance has changed the way I operate my 6L80 when towing heavy as well. I now run it in 4th @ 65mph on the highway all day long.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. He mentioned Yellow Belly Racetrack. That's just a few miles from where I live.

I've never really been a gear head myself (my Dad always had stuff such as brakes and such done by a mechanic), aside from LS Fest Texas last year I took my youngest boy to...Anyways, I was passing by that place one night around 9pm and saw a huge crowd.

... Maybe I can go as a "spectator" sometime...
Yes they had a race, live on youtube, last weekend that I watched some of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Benito r

Latest posts