6L80 issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The 06 Denali has the 4L65e 4SP w/ OD. The 07 Denali got the 4L60 6SP w/ OD. It’s 5am and I only gave the threads a quick read. Did I miss something? I haven’t had my cuppa Joe yet.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 06 Denali has the 4L65e 4SP w/ OD. The 07 Denali got the 4L60 6SP w/ OD. It’s 5am and I only gave the threads a quick read. Did I miss something? I haven’t had my cuppa Joe yet.
07 Denali has 6L80e.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 06 Denali has the 4L65e 4SP w/ OD. The 07 Denali got the 4L60 6SP 6L80 w/ OD. It’s 5am and I only gave the threads a quick read. Did I miss something? I haven’t had my cuppa Joe yet.
I'm having my cup of coffee now and you're correct (@Doubeleive also questioned the year earlier as well but OP didn't respond at that time). The OP has either mis-stated the model year or mis-identified the transmission. I just glossed right over where he mentioned the year when I initially read through his first post.

The 6L80 was intro'd in 2006 and went into the Pontiac G8s and some Corvettes but AFAIK didn't go into any of the truck chassis until 2007.
I tried to post this in the 6L80 thread but could not.
my son has an 06 Yukon Denali AWD with the 6L80 transmission (200,000+ miles)
Can you verify the year of your son's Yukon?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looked to me like a simple typo flubbed a 6 instead of a 7 or 8
when it wouldn't go after having the dealer do whatever they did, then the dealer should have had a basic run down or idea of why, seems like they would have at least ran a diag and the tech would have noted it to cover his ass.
something to the effect of
installed part *** as per customer request, refilled fluids,programed module and adapts, transmission does not go into drive/reverse yada yad, tested xx output.yada
xx is not responsive, xx yada yada
the tech would have done that to 1. make sure the part installed was not defective, and 2. make sure it wasn't his fukup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Iflyfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks and thanks again. That is infinitely more knowledge than I received from any shop.
we really appreciate the time you spent analyzing our issues. We are expecting warmer weather (South Mississippi) this week and we will put your suggestions to work.
I‘ll keep you updated or our progress.
THANKS

OP
OP
I

Iflyfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm having my cup of coffee now and you're correct (@Doubeleive also questioned the year earlier as well but OP didn't respond at that time). The OP has either mis-stated the model year or mis-identified the transmission. I just glossed right over where he mentioned the year when I initially read through his first post.

The 6L80 was intro'd in 2006 and went into the Pontiac G8s and some Corvettes but AFAIK didn't go into any of the truck chassis until 2007.

Can you verify the year of your son's Yukon?
The popping sound you heard was my head popping out of my …. It’s an 07

OP
OP
I

Iflyfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
looked to me like a simple typo flubbed a 6 instead of a 7 or 8
when it wouldn't go after having the dealer do whatever they did, then the dealer should have had a basic run down or idea of why, seems like they would have at least ran a diag and the tech would have noted it to cover his ass.
something to the effect of
installed part *** as per customer request, refilled fluids,programed module and adapts, transmission does not go into drive/reverse yada yad, tested xx output.yada
xx is not responsive, xx yada yada
the tech would have done that to 1. make sure the part installed was not defective, and 2. make sure it wasn't his fukup.
We installed the TCM and had it towed to the dealer. This dealer would only do the program. Then said we had connected something wrong, can you get it towed out of here ASAP. Even tried to charge $35 for a “hazardous material disposal fee”. Took almost an hour to get the fee taken off after insisting they explain what hazard material they disposed of. The $35 was not the problem, the obvious attempt to gouge us was.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We installed the TCM and had it towed to the dealer. This dealer would only do the program. Then said we had connected something wrong, can you get it towed out of here ASAP. Even tried to charge $35 for a “hazardous material disposal fee”. Took almost an hour to get the fee taken off after insisting they explain what hazard material they disposed of. The $35 was not the problem, the obvious attempt to gouge us was.
what does the paperwork say? there are details missing here........ the tech should have noted something on the paperwork.
the tech isn't going to say "you connected something wrong" they are going to say: unable to communicate with module, module unresponsive, unable to program, etc, etc.
charges and fee's are not the issue here

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
again @Iflyfish
Always include the resident expert @NickTransmissions in your post and you'll get the resident transmission experts advice.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The popping sound you heard was my head popping out of my …. It’s an 07
Ha! no worries...

Take it somewhere else, perhaps to an independent shop that knows these transmissions and has all the requisite tools and knowledge to deal with them properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts