6l80 tcc slip tuning stock clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing is, many of us don't have an aux cooler and the radiator would tend to heat the fluid higher than the thermostat temp. Unless of course the thermostat sticks..

Little update, Transgo Rob feels like the later 6l80's seem to last a little longer than previous gens. I'm sure nobody has complete numbers, and that was his impression (which I'm sure can depend on the area, shop, number of newer vs older vehicles etc.) He also does not think the tune differences affect anything other than fuel economy..

Here are Robert's photos of the PR valve wear since you need to login to view pictures.

View attachment 420766
View attachment 420767
View attachment 420768
He's right as there were numerous updates that made it into the later models to help directly and indirectly with mitigating the various failure-prone areas in these transmissions. The lion's share of the changes were made between 2009-2012, with a few more in the following couple years.

That said, there were NO changes to the pressure regulator valve or torque converter clutch, which is a glaring omission on GMs part IMO. Both Transgo and Sonnax address the PR valve (as well as many other hydraulic issues) with their respective kits; no 6L should be rebuilt without installing one of those kits.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I took my allowed slippage down by 50% but kept it.
Most will reccomend that you put it at 0, but i just took the allowed slippage RPM and cut it directly in half.
I think it was default at 20rpm, and I made it 10rpm.

Note that on that the thread they mention that reducing that is also equivalent to raising pressures.

I had some thrust bearing issues early on, so I got really careful around converter pressure settings + I have a double disk aftermarket converter...

I doubt any of it was related, but what a pita that was. :jester:

For the lockup settings, I tweaked some of the mph settings to my liking (raising the mph a little higher to prevent lockup until later).

Last edited:

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Found some interesting info on hptuners forum from Robert at Transgo...

"As for making it not slip the converter clutch in 5th and 6th that's mostly only good for aftermarket converter that don't use the GM woven carbon lining and so prone to shudder. The carbon woven lining is very brittle and designed to slip without wearing out, but it is super brittle . the extra pressure required to make it not slip and the increase rate of apply is ******* it and it often will crack and lose chunks of it causing the TCC to start slipping after many thousandths of mile with this modification. Eliminating lock up in 1-2-3-4 is not going to hurt anything, but I would not recommend increasing the pressure to stop it from slipping the 20 or so RPM factory programing does."

Little more info here...

some of the best info I have seen so far.
When I was wiping out thrust bearings in my engine, it seemed like it lasted longer if I kept the slip at 20 rpm
In the end I reduced the overall pressure by 5% and reduced the slippage to 10rpm.

I felt like I was nuts there for a bit (more than the usual amount :jester: ).

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some of the differences between my 2012 vs a 2018 silverado 5.3 stock tunes.
Loading a compare file in hptuners does not work properly, some tables have different number of cells and not all options are available for both.

regulator gain 1.500 -> .375 ('use regulator settings' is not selectable on the 2018, so there may be some difference in the way gain value is used..)
min slip AC on 9rpm -> 3rpm
tcc apply release, mostly completely flat in the 2018, curves on the 2012.
tcc desired pressure completely different values, could be software is incorrect, or the values are processed differently..

2013tcc.png

Above is stock 2012, TCC slip is same for 1-3 (AC OFF 1st gear shown), same for 4-6 (below 1st gear graph, window name is blocked off, 5th gear shown)

Looks like the 2018 zero's slip at higher torque and reduces slip at higher rpms..

below is 2018, TCC slip 1-6 all the same (1st and 5th shown)

2018tcc.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts