6.2 Tahoe For Sale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about this some more and remembered that you had a very basic tune done. I wonder if a BlackBear tune would improve the transmission performance in the areas where it bogs you down? Even the 6-speed didn't want to shift back to 2nd without a judicious amount of pedal before the tune at low speed.

My 05 is blackbear tuned, I have the ecm exchange method on the one. It really woke the LM7 up and I have 50% torque management off and all engine management off. It has 4.10 gears, and it still has the dead spot in the bottom of second gear. It's not the fault of the tune, it's just the horrific 2nd gear ratio. If you can't get the trans to downshift to 1st at 25mph, the 5.3 power band fights the gear ratio. With 4.10 gears, you would almost redline if it would downshift to 1st at 30mph. It's bad ratios of the 4 speed that hurt the 5.3, as well as the torque management.

The 4L80 ratios are even worse, haha

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 is blackbear tuned, I have the ecm exchange method on the one. It really woke the LM7 up and I have 50% torque management off and all engine management off. It has 4.10 gears, and it still has the dead spot in the bottom of second gear. It's not the fault of the tune, it's just the horrific 2nd gear ratio. If you can't get the trans to downshift to 1st at 25mph, the 5.3 power band fights the gear ratio. With 4.10 gears, you would almost redline if it would downshift to 1st at 30mph. It's bad ratios of the 4 speed that hurt the 5.3, as well as the torque management.

The 4L80 ratios are even worse, haha

You're right, the 6L80s 3rd gear is like the 4L65s 2nd with a 3.42 gear. Even a 4.10 gear behind the 4-speed doesn't come close to the 6-speed's 2nd.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about this some more and remembered that you had a very basic tune done. I wonder if a BlackBear tune would improve the transmission performance in the areas where it bogs you down? Even the 6-speed didn't want to shift back to 2nd without a judicious amount of pedal before the tune at low speed.

Right- I just had some items disabled and Torque Management reduced. No power tweaks. I'm quite certain a full tune would help. I'm holding back on the that until I finish whatever mods I'll be doing which may include a 6.0 or 6.2 swap. I know I can get an Autocal and have them adjust it over and over as I mod it. But, none of that is in the budget at the moment. Tops on my list car mod-wise is an AFM delete.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Are those prices so high because they're 6.2L or are they all that high up north? I can find Yukon Denali's and Escalade's all day long down here with similar mileages for those prices or buy a 5.3L Tahoe and swap in a 6.2L and have money left over for other repairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17