6.2 Tahoe For Sale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This really tempts me to shop around for a 6.2 Tahoe. I swear, I'd be satisfied with the 5.3 if I just had those two extra gears. There are too many instances in my driving where I'm right in that dead spot where it can't downshift (would be too high of RPM) so it just lugs.

I feel the same way when I drive my 05 Tahoe. The 5.3 feels really good, it has 4.10 gears, but the 4 speed kills it. If you smash the throttle between 25-30mph, it will NOT downshift and you lug in 2nd gear for what seems forever. My 09 Tahoe 6 speed puts the engine in it's sweet spot almost all of the time and handles hills and small inclines better than my 4 speed Tahoe. Of course, the 6.2 may have a helping hand in that, haha

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel the same way when I drive my 05 Tahoe. The 5.3 feels really good, it has 4.10 gears, but the 4 speed kills it. If you smash the throttle between 25-30mph, it will NOT downshift and you lug in 2nd gear for what seems forever. My 09 Tahoe 6 speed puts the engine in it's sweet spot almost all of the time and handles hills and small inclines better than my 4 speed Tahoe. Of course, the 6.2 may have a helping hand in that, haha

That's exactly my problem. When I leave my area to get out on the main highway, I have to cross the westbound lanes to get in to the eastbound merge lane. I get across the westbound lanes and I have to either stay in the throttle and turn into the merge lane at speed, throwing everyone around, or slow down to turn, putting me entering the merge lane at that dead spot and trying to accelerate to merge while stuck in a bad gear.

I want more power (6.0, 6.2) but I'd still have the crappy 4-speed. Or I could get a newer one with a 6-speed but still "only" have a 5.3. If I'm gonna dump money into it, I want both- power and 6 speeds.

So this brings me back to T56-swapping my '08 5.3.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly my problem.
I want more power (6.0, 6.2) but I'd still have the crappy 4-speed. Or I could get a newer one with a 6-speed but still "only" have a 5.3. If I'm gonna dump money into it, I want both- power and 6 speeds.

You could probably sell yours and then get a 6.2 Tahoe and still be even money or close to it. But then if you're like me, you couldn't do it. I could buy the 6.2 Tahoe, just couldn't get rid of my truck to do it!

I came across a website the other day, something like carsowner.com that showed the vehicle and VIN and name and address of every owner of every type of vehicle. So of course I went hunting for 6.2 Tahoes and found a couple in Florida and one owned by a lady about an hour away. The database is dated as a few VINs were already pulled from dealerships.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Colorado, and I know of one other L9H Tahoe that lives/works within 30 miles of me. I worked on the other ond once when I was a tech, which is how I found out L9H Tahoe's existed in the first place. But he has ugly ass wheels on his. It took me 5 years after that to get mine, but it's funny seeing the other one from time to time.

P.s. mine is nicer

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have since located several 2WD 6.2 Tahoes. Two from 2008 and one 2009. I also discovered that Janesville also made them when I originally thought they were limited to Arlington.

All of the '08 2WD ones located thus far were Janesville builds.

2008 2WD 6.2 Tahoe (L92 Motor) = 1GNFC138
2009 2WD 6.2 Tahoe (L9H motor) = 1GNFC332
2009 4WD 6.2 Tahoe (L9H motor) = 1GNFK332

All 51 identified have been LTZs.

Are these for sale?

C17FXR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Funny, I had plans to rebuild my 99 Tahoe, she's in need of a restore. Trans is starting to slip and don't have a place to work on here currently plus all my tool are in storage, relocating and have ran into trouble with our home purchase (homeowner). Started looking for a replacement ride till I can get into my house to do the work. During my searching I came across this post. Started looking, reading and conversing with my wife about a purchase. She gave me the green go ahead light to get me a new 2009 Tahoe. I have a few lined up and on the hunt daily.

I've got about 4 or so Carfax searches leftover from my searching for a replacement Acura MDX, wife hit a deer and totaled her 06 MDX. Had to drive 3.5 hours to Jersey to get her 2016 with only 17K miles. The few I have looked at so far I've ran the Carfax and NMVTIS reports and they've come up clean.

Any recommendation on what to look for while doing my on-line shopping. Doing my due diligence before I start contacting anyone.

I'm in the market for a 6.2L LTZ 4WD.

P.S. iamdud, very nice build you have there, read thru your build thread and that is one nice ride.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I had plans to rebuild my 99 Tahoe, she's in need of a restore. Trans is starting to slip and don't have a place to work on here currently plus all my tool are in storage, relocating and have ran into trouble with our home purchase (homeowner). Started looking for a replacement ride till I can get into my house to do the work. During my searching I came across this post. Started looking, reading and conversing with my wife about a purchase. She gave me the green go ahead light to get me a new 2009 Tahoe. I have a few lined up and on the hunt daily.

I've got about 4 or so Carfax searches leftover from my searching for a replacement Acura MDX, wife hit a deer and totaled her 06 MDX. Had to drive 3.5 hours to Jersey to get her 2016 with only 17K miles. The few I have looked at so far I've ran the Carfax and NMVTIS reports and they've come up clean.

Any recommendation on what to look for while doing my on-line shopping. Doing my due diligence before I start contacting anyone.

I'm in the market for a 6.2L LTZ 4WD.

P.S. iamdud, very nice build you have there, read thru your build thread and that is one nice ride.

Thank you!

I say you're on the right track shopping for an '09+ JUST because of the transmission it'll have. If I was limited to making just one major change on mine, I'd give up having more power from boost or a bigger motor and get a 6-speed trans. I'd bolt it to the back of that 200K-mile 5.3 and touch nothing else and be totally happy with it.

The only recommendations I can give are the same as when searching for any used car, and I'm sure you already know those fundamentals. If you're in the salty areas, I believe it'd be worth searching the south for a rust-free unit and driving it back.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly my problem. When I leave my area to get out on the main highway, I have to cross the westbound lanes to get in to the eastbound merge lane. I get across the westbound lanes and I have to either stay in the throttle and turn into the merge lane at speed, throwing everyone around, or slow down to turn, putting me entering the merge lane at that dead spot and trying to accelerate to merge while stuck in a bad gear.

I thought about this some more and remembered that you had a very basic tune done. I wonder if a BlackBear tune would improve the transmission performance in the areas where it bogs you down? Even the 6-speed didn't want to shift back to 2nd without a judicious amount of pedal before the tune at low speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GPPV