6.2 swap thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Kooks 1 7/8". I sanded the ridges down a bit by hand. I just put it back together and did the vacuum test and and it's leaking at both ball sockets and each slip fit joint. When I do my engine, I am going to use Optimum Red RTV which is good to 750 degrees.

Thank you! I can't wait to drop the 6.2 in. Love the comfort of the truck but it needs more power.

Yeah I am aware of the ticking. The noise I get in the cabin is a clear leak though. You can hear it in addition to the ticking. It's a distinct air escaping exhaust leak noise. I will hear it clearly, then go over a bump (which shifts the exhaust) and the noise will stop for a split second.

I'd be fine with just ticking LOL.

I just removed my Corsa Touring and went back to the stock muffler. I really just want to be as quiet as possible. Problem is my stock exhaust is only 2.75" and it's beginning to rust through. I'd like to pickup a stock 3.5" from an escalade or denali but they're tough to find and shipping is a nightmare because they're 1 piece.

The Corsa sounds awesome at WOT but I don't need the attention on this vehicle.
Don't they have some kind of exhaust paste for this exact thing?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have many. I tried rtv copper but it blew out.

I sent pics to Kooks and they think its a defect and are requesting i send the headers back.

Likely I will do so.
I was going to say they stand behind their stuff. I actually bought a brand new set of their 1 3/4” with non-catted y and couldn’t make them work without cutting on my bagged and bodied Silverado so I sold the headers. Still have the y if you know anybody that might want it. It’s in the classifieds.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll check it out. The header ticking ruins the vehicle for me. Definitely adds power, but it's a part throttle type vehicle. I don't want to go WOT all the time to enjoy it. I've owned a few LS cars and don't recall ever hearing the headers this much in the cabin. I think it's because the Y pipe connection is right by the firewall instead of further back if it were a car. Its fairly quiet outside, but you really hear it when the windows are up and A/C is low/off.
I love the headers sound.. [emoji16] don’t know how I hadn’t come across this thread before. Looking forward to the progress!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Header noise is less pronounced after i sanded the areas. Im confident Kooks will be able to fix it and ill be set.

When I do the swap ill put on my stock exhaust and ship them out to them.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contacted Cam Motion. Earliest ship will be very end of month. Might just handle the header situation now.

While my headers are there, I'd like to have them convert it to 3.5" connection and pickup a stock 3.5" exhaust. Does the denali exhaust sound the same as the SLT? I like the sound of the SLT exhaust with the headers.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a good baseline today. Was 61 out and was able to find a flat safe area to do a 0-60 test. This will be a good comparison to what a cammed 5.3 can do vs the cammed 6.2.

Screenshot_20200918-083731.jpg

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe stock 5.3s are like 7.9 to 8.3 range or something, so there were gains for sure. 5.9s or bust with the 6.2! Maybe a tall order with no stall, we will see.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe stock 5.3s are like 7.9 to 8.3 range or something, so there were gains for sure. 5.9s or bust with the 6.2! Maybe a tall order with no stall, we will see.

My tuned 6.2 is just a tick over 6 seconds to 60mph here in Colorado. A mile above sea level knocks a second or so off 0 - 60 times. This is my 6.2 Tahoe with just a tune, cam and headers are coming soon.

Last edited: