6.2 swap thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnaflow 52616 for Federal Emissions.

Have you already swapped out the rear axle to a semi-floating 14-bolt or installed a Tru-Trac?

Ok I'll check it out. The header ticking ruins the vehicle for me. Definitely adds power, but it's a part throttle type vehicle. I don't want to go WOT all the time to enjoy it. I've owned a few LS cars and don't recall ever hearing the headers this much in the cabin. I think it's because the Y pipe connection is right by the firewall instead of further back if it were a car. Its fairly quiet outside, but you really hear it when the windows are up and A/C is low/off.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking Magnaflow 52616 into Magnaflow 15111. I'd rather get the SS magnaflow than get a rusted out stock exhaust for $300-$400.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll check it out. The header ticking ruins the vehicle for me. Definitely adds power, but it's a part throttle type vehicle. I don't want to go WOT all the time to enjoy it. I've owned a few LS cars and don't recall ever hearing the headers this much in the cabin. I think it's because the Y pipe connection is right by the firewall instead of further back if it were a car. Its fairly quiet outside, but you really hear it when the windows are up and A/C is low/off.

Yep, I replaced my original Y-pipe a few years ago with the Magnaflow, flows better and not any noisier than stock. You can add more sound deadening or run shorties but that the thing with long tubes, they add more power only at WOT for a street motor.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I replaced my original Y-pipe a few years ago with the Magnaflow, flows better and not any noisier than stock. You can add more sound deadening or run shorties but that the thing with long tubes, they add more power only at WOT for a street motor.

Yeah I'm done with them. They've always been a nuisance on every vehicle I have owned. I have to idle for long periods of time while dropping off/picking up my son and it's a bit embarrassing the noise + the smell. High flow cats clean up the smell ok but it's not like factory.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm done with them. They've always been a nuisance on every vehicle I have owned. I have to idle for long periods of time while dropping off/picking up my son and it's a bit embarrassing the noise + the smell. High flow cats clean up the smell ok but it's not like factory.

That too! I had forgotten how smelly our cars can be without cats until one of the member's here brought his SSV over to the house a few months ago and he has long tubes on it. Phew! Glad I kept the Y with cats! Muffles the noise and mine makes 307 hp at the wheels. And if you have ethanol stations nearby and can use it, it'll smell even better, like fries!

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That too! I had forgotten how smelly our cars can be without cats until one of the member's here brought his SSV over to the house a few months ago and he has long tubes on it. Phew! Glad I kept the Y with cats! Muffles the noise and mine makes 307 hp at the wheels. And if you have ethanol stations nearby and can use it, it'll smell even better, like fries!

Ha, mine are catted but I've had catless headers before and it will stick to your clothes all day.

High flow catted cleans up most of the smell but you still get a whiff.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for cats if you don't mind having them. Catless is LOUD.

Catless is the worst. People who say they can't smell it have an issue with their nose.

Ordered the magnaflow y-pipe and the magnaflow catback with resonator. I am ditching the headers + corsa setup. The power gains from the 6.2, bigger cam + vvt should make me not miss my headers.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With your cam, I think you may miss your headers, unless you plan to run a turbo in the future. I have run long tube headers on many vehicles, and you don't have to be WOT to feel the difference in the power they make across the entire RPM range. I ran cheap long tubes on an old 99 F150 5.4 and it was crazy the amount of power long tubes made, and I never got it tuned. I am about to add a cam similar to yours in my L9H, and run 1 7/8" ARH long tubes to my stock cat back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989