6.0 heads and cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up an 05 Escalade 6.0 LQ9.

Looking to possibly do a head swap and cam. I plan on going with the BTR truck Norris cam. Heads I'm a little more unsure of. I have 317's currently which I know flow well but are much better for boost. I can get a set of 706 heads locally for $100 and have them gone through and freshened up.

Won't the 706 heads bump up my CR and give me more bottom end torque? This is a daily driver, minimal towing. I want more usable power down low to mid. I know the 706's fall off in the upper rpm's but that shouldn't be an issue cause I'm not looking for that.

Thanks all.

OP
OP
T

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search this guy's YouTube channel -- everything you need is likely there, and then some:

Richard Holdener
I watch a lot of his videos. He's the reason i'm going with the truck norris cam.
On some of his cylinder head videos, he seems mostly concerned with top end numbers which don't really interest me.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure 706s would give you waaayyy too much compression with the flat tops in the LQ9. Something like 11:1 which in a heavy Escalade will ping, probably even with 93. Add in the Truck Norris cam that is building more cylinder pressure by nature you will again be running into detonation risk. So i would probably try avoiding that unless you want to build a dedicated e85 engine. Which would probably get away with that much compression just fine, but how many places aroumd you sell it?

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
243 heads would be my choice. Those will give you 11to1 but that lq9 will take it with a good tune. I ran the same setup but with a BTR Stage II low lift cam in my Hummer and it was an absolute beast.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Looking to possibly do a head swap and cam. I plan on going with the BTR truck Norris cam. Heads I'm a little more unsure of. I have 317's currently which I know flow well but are much better for boost. I can get a set of 706 heads locally for $100 and have them gone through and freshened up.

Won't the 706 heads bump up my CR and give me more bottom end torque? This is a daily driver, minimal towing. I want more usable power down low to mid. I know the 706's fall off in the upper rpm's but that shouldn't be an issue cause I'm not looking for that.

Thanks all.

Compression gives power across the board. 706 heads will certainly raise the compression, to the tune of ~11.5:1 if not higher. But, in stock form, they will be a choke the higher you rev it which counters that cam. Yes, you could have the 706s worked over with some porting and larger valves (at least the intake valves), etc. If the compression is too high (and I think it is), you could get thicker gaskets to help. But, you're throwing all kinds of money and effort at the 706s when, as @THarber mentioned, you could slap on some stock 243/799s and have compression and flow. It'd be an iron block LS2. 93 octane would be mandatory.

It sounds to me like you want this Escalade to get moving with less throttle input, like when accelerating around town and aren't looking for a hard top-end pull when passing on the highway. I'd get the 243/799s. I'd also suggest a slightly looser stall.

Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compression gives power across the board. 706 heads will certainly raise the compression, to the tune of ~11.5:1 if not higher. But, in stock form, they will be a choke the higher you rev it which counters that cam. Yes, you could have the 706s worked over with some porting and larger valves (at least the intake valves), etc. If the compression is too high (and I think it is), you could get thicker gaskets to help. But, you're throwing all kinds of money and effort at the 706s when, as @THarber mentioned, you could slap on some stock 243/799s and have compression and flow. It'd be an iron block LS2. 93 octane would be mandatory.

It sounds to me like you want this Escalade to get moving with less throttle input, like when accelerating around town and aren't looking for a hard top-end pull when passing on the highway. I'd get the 243/799s. I'd also suggest a slightly looser stall.
Looser stall or maybe regear. The heads and cam will give more power and a regear is " more expensive" initially. But, if the build requires a constant diet of 93 that gets expensive for the life of the vehicle.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looser stall or maybe regear. The heads and cam will give more power and a regear is " more expensive" initially. But, if the build requires a constant diet of 93 that gets expensive for the life of the vehicle.

True, but OP was already mentioning higher compression. Besides, it's an LQ9- it should be fed high octane as it is. IIRC, those rigs came with 3.73, so he's doing alright there. If he doesn't mind the extra RPM and reduced fuel economy (although minimal?), 4.10s would be more fun. I guess it really is up to what kind of driving he does. Really, with a looser stall and/or a lower gear, his city MPG would drop more. So, running 89 or 87 (if tuned for those) could possibly be a wash versus setting it up to run 93.

I've recently pondered switching to 4.10s when I swap in a TrueTrac, if not a whole other rear end. With a 4L60E, 3.73s and 32" tires, I'd only be turning 200 more RPM at 75 MPH on overdrive. I do more highway/cruising than stop-and-go city driving. So, it might not be worth it to me to bother. Or maybe it would. :hmm:

Buuut, I'd also like to turbo mine some day. Stretching out the gear pulls would keep it loaded up with boost longer.

Anyway, just posting relative numbers for the OP to compare.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok lets go back to the beginning.
The whole Escalade or just the LQ9 for a transplant?
Looking to possibly do a head swap and cam. I plan on going with the BTR truck Norris cam. Heads I'm a little more unsure of.
The BTR cam will be a decent upgrade.
I have 317's currently which I know flow well but are much better for boost.
Misnomer there, the 317s were designed with big chambers for the 6.0s displacement to put the compression in a reasonable range. Like has been stated the 706 and 799 will put you in high 10s low 11s for compression. The flow is similar to the 243/799 head, so boost performance is similar but compression is down so overall power is down for the same level of boost
I can get a set of 706 heads locally for $100 and have them gone through and freshened up.
If it was an LQ4 i would probably go this route as it starts with lower compression than the LQ9.
Won't the 706 heads bump up my CR and give me more bottom end torque?
Yes

This is a daily driver, minimal towing. I want more usable power down low to mid.
So just trying to get more driveability out of the vehicle for around town or town and highway combined?

I know the 706's fall off in the upper rpm's but that shouldn't be an issue cause I'm not
looking for that.
They do, but in a 6.0 test with a wilder cam than the Truck Norris it only lost out by 12 hp but gained 12 TQ down low. In a truck or suv i call that a wash. But again with the LQ9 compression 706s are going to require a real good tune and good fuel always. I mean maybe you could do injectors and get a e85 tune. That would be the best octane there but sometimes hard to find.

Thanks all.

So what are your goals for the vehicle? The more specific the better we can help.

OP
OP
T

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the whole escalade.

I've backed off on the heads and cam honestly. I was thinking just a head swap with some 706/862's would be sufficient for my desires, but i'm not sure now. I want more useable power down low and around town, but the cost of everything piling up is a little daunting. I was just gonna get a set of 862's with new springs and seals locally but it seems like the compression ratio will be a little too high for pump gas 91.

I am about to install long tubes, y pipe and a si/so borla, then I plan on getting it tuned by a local shop for 91. I do not have 93 readily available near me so that's a no go, as well as e85 swap.

I am hoping with the better flowing exhaust and tune, it will appease me and save me lots of money on a head/cam swap.

I have a gt4 rear end, no g80 though. That was another thought down the road, but that kinda install is very intimidating to me doing it on my own.

I just changed the fluid and filter on my 4l65e, added the corvette servo and a new tru cool 40k cooler this weekend. So that should all be buttoned up for future mods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel