5w30 oil in transfer case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
My .02 but my 03 Suburban used Autotrac II fluid. I would recommend you figure out what case you have and run whats recommended.
Some cases have clutch packs that need the fluid to have a certain penetrating and lubricating property to work correctly.
Even if it's expensive it's not like you change it every 3,000 miles....

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll dig a little deeper and maybe call some tranny shops who rebuild those T-cases and pick their brain.

I guess I just don't understand what the limiting factor would be in the T-case that would harm it by running 5w30 oil. Would it be too viscus for the oil pump? Maybe it's splash lubricated? Or will it make the TC slip? I'm not sure, but running oil in a T-case doest SEEM that it would cause harm, but maybe.

If you do a little reading on wet clutches (which is what your TC probably uses) you'll find out that most of the newer motor oil that's out there will cause them to slip. Think about motorcycles with wet clutches that use the engine's motor oil to lube the clutches, and you'll see special oil with the proper frictional properties. Not the normal auto motor oil.
Here's one article: https://blog.amsoil.com/how-to-protect-a-motorcycle-wet-clutch-and-how-it-works/

OP
OP
E

Eric Pylant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's not that I think 5w30 will add anything that tranny fluid won't, I was only asking to see if anyone knew anything about it.

I ended up following the oem guide. It just sure is interesting that there are so many variations for oil and applications. It makes me wonder if oem recommends a certain type of fluid not only just for protection and wear, but for things like fuel mileage etc.

Like I mentioned, my fj takes 75w oil. Such a far cry from thin tranny fluid; different design I know.

Thanks for all your replies and help!

OP
OP
E

Eric Pylant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good points!

I forgot about dirt bikes and their wet clutches. I believe mine says not to use energy conserving due to the increase for slippage.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
It makes me wonder if oem recommends a certain type of fluid not only just for protection and wear, but for things like fuel mileage etc.
Fuel economy...pfttt, whatever, right? I’d imagine though, that there is a direct correlation between fuel economy change and heat produced.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some cases have clutch packs that need the fluid to have a certain penetrating and lubricating property to work correctly.

Ding ding ding.
Now I see no reason to not run a compatible fluid that isn't ATII. But the ATII is readily available, and not that expensive.
I believe valvoline has a compatible fluid. Merchant automotive has one as well.
I prefer ATII since it is a oddball color. If it's leaking, I'll know right away what it is coming from.

Also, I need to do more research on the workings of these cases. I was seeming to understand the clutches only come into play in the auto mode. But i need to do more research.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just picked up a 2003 Tahoe LS and am slowly going thru and doing routine maintenance begining with the fluid changes first.

I realize fluids can be very specific for each application but is it so for our transfer cases?

I realize GM recommends Dex III but recently I have been reading about people using 5w30 in these cases.

I replaced my Toyota FJ Cruiser T-case oil and the factory calls for 75w90!! So why do our T-cases require tranny fluid?

Thoughts? Opinions? Facts?

Thanks!
Eric.

Post up a photo of your transfer case controls on the dash.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run what’s spec’d for everything on my rigs. The last straw was trying to run non-AC Delco fluid in my G80 diff. I read somewhere about guys running Royal Purple 75-90 instead of the AC Delco 75-90 so I had that in for awhile and went down the wormhole about the limited-slip additive and I knew the consensus was lbs additive wasn’t needed or recommended for the G-80 and could cause damage but...I also read that some of the synthetic 75-90’s already had some so I started reading the bottle of RP and right there on the front it said “ With Limited Slip Additive” so I drained it and replaced it. So if it says to use AutoTrac II that’s what it gets. Engine oil is the only non-GM fluid I use. My G-80 diff and NVG149 transfer case have 170k on them with no issues. The rest of the drivetrain I’ve exploded due to supercharger not fluids lol.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia