Dexron III - Replacement for AWD Transfer Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vicnation

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The manual for my 06 Denali XL calls for 1.5 qts of Dexron III to be used in the transfer case. This vehicle is AWD. Since Dexron III isn't available anymore, what fluid type should I use? I read that at one point, GM recommended Dexron VI because it was supposed to be backwards compatible, but soon after they put out a warning that it wasn't good for transfer cases.

Any recommendations?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manual for my 06 Denali XL calls for 1.5 qts of Dexron III to be used in the transfer case. This vehicle is AWD. Since Dexron III isn't available anymore, what fluid type should I use? I read that at one point, GM recommended Dexron VI because it was supposed to be backwards compatible, but soon after they put out a warning that it wasn't good for transfer cases.

Any recommendations?
Someone who knows will be along shortly.

@Sam Harris @Fless @915_Tahoe @Tonyrodz @Rocket Man

Reaction score

Any recommendations?
My 2012 owners manual specifies Dexron VI for the transfer case

20220214_173734.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I read that at one point, GM recommended Dexron VI because it was supposed to be backwards compatible, but soon after they put out a warning that it wasn't good for transfer cases.

I'm wondering where you read that; have a source?

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I'm wondering where you read that; have a source?

I believe i read that its backwards compatible on some gm tech site somewhere...
It might have been on the back of the dex vi bottle...

Doing a quick search, i did some up with this.

Pretty much says that it's backwards compatible.
Just not forwards compatible with later versions.

In my fsm that was last updated late 2008.
It mentions it's the replacement for dex 3
But it was at that time not certified as a powersteering fluid replacement.

I understand that later it was certified, and was a reccomended replacment if normal gm ps fluid causes pump noise...

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Is the 2006 AWD transfer case the same used in the GMT900 AWD vehicles, the Borg Warner 4485 (RPO NR3)?

If so, then we can look it up that way to be sure.

Iirc the NBS uses a different design.
Wasn't the older design "auto track" required to use that blue Auto track II fluid?

NNBS got the updated design that was able to use normal ATF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar