2020 tahoe 6.2L 4x4: fluid changes and drivetrain components

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

persistent

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i've recently taken over maintaining our family 2020 tahoe 6.2L 4x4 premier with 72k miles, and i am preparing to repair a leaking front differential pinion gear seal and change the fluids on the transmission, differentials and transfer case. however, i am having trouble nailing down exactly what drivetrain components i have in the vehicle. the transmission and transfer case fluid depend on which transmission i have, and the rear gear oil depends on which rear differential i have.

based on what i've read online, the 2020 with a 6.2L engine has the 10L80 10-speed transmission, which takes dexron ULV fluid. i have used a couple vin decoders and one said i have a 6 speed transmission and another said i have a 10 speed transmission. since the 6 speed takes dexron VI, i need to be certain which transmission i have before i order the atf. similarly, i see in the service manual i have that the rear differential takes either 75W85 or 75W90, depending on which size you have.

i would appreciate any assistance in figuring out which transmission and differentials i have in this car so i can get on with ordering parts for this work.

Last edited:

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have the 10 speed. The simplest way to learn for sure it to drive it, put the great selector in manual and shift away. I’m betting it goes past 6.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 in 2020 was only mated to the 10 speed - buy 12 qt dexron ulv. The 6.2 has the larger 12 bolt rear dif - get 3 qt of 75w85 without limited slip additives - AC Delco, and a gasket just in case yours is shot. Front will need 2 qt 75-90 - any brand and additives dont matter (OEM is what I used). For the transfer case, buy 2 qt dexron VI. Rock Auto was cheapest I found...

OP
OP
P

persistent

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 6.2 in 2020 was only mated to the 10 speed - buy 12 qt dexron ulv. The 6.2 has the larger 12 bolt rear dif - get 3 qt of 75w85 without limited slip additives - AC Delco, and a gasket just in case yours is shot. Front will need 2 qt 75-90 - any brand and additives dont matter (OEM is what I used). For the transfer case, buy 2 qt dexron VI. Rock Auto was cheapest I found...
i'm having trouble finding the correct parts for the 10L80 transmission filter and gasket and the 12-bolt rear differential gasket.

can you give me advice on how to go about finding the correct parts? search engines, amazon, and other parts stores give mixed results that don't inspire confidence.

OP
OP
P

persistent

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

do you know the service intervals for the front differential, transfer case, rear differential, and the transmission fluid + filter? i've searched some online and in the service manual, but i don't see anything authoritative.

i've gotten the front differential fluid changed and the pinion gear seal replaced. i did score the seal seating surface a bit with a seal puller because i was rushing. i'm guessing the front differential housing is aluminum, so anyone else doing this needs to be very careful when using a seal puller. the need for delicacy when pulling these seals is (in)conveniently omitted in the various videos and doco online.

i recommend having a thin flat piece of steel to use as a pivot point for the head of the seal puller, instead of using the edge of the differential housing. i also recommend getting a seal installation kit that has the annular pieces, instead of trying to hammer slowly around the edges. i was lucky that i didn't score the seal mating surface worse, and the seal has not leaked yet. i had a solid 15 minutes of swearing while tapping the seal in with a hammer, it was not fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts