Dexron III - Replacement for AWD Transfer Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
V

vicnation

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just found this: PIP3836B Precaution: DEXRON-VI in Manual Transmissions When DEXRON-III is indicated as the fluid fill for manual transmissions and transfer cases, DO NOT use DEXRON-VI. Instead, use GM Manual Transmission Fluid p/n 88861800 in these components.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I just found this: PIP3836B Precaution: DEXRON-VI in Manual Transmissions When DEXRON-III is indicated as the fluid fill for manual transmissions and transfer cases, DO NOT use DEXRON-VI. Instead, use GM Manual Transmission Fluid p/n 88861800 in these components.

Depends how long ago that was posted.
I have one for my wife's car back in 2008, stating that dex vi was not yet a certified as a replacement for dex 3 as a power steering fluid replacement.

Later, it was confirmed as a valid replacement.
And in a TSB to use in order to resolve complaints about PS pump noise.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iirc the NBS uses a different design.
Wasn't the older design "auto track" required to use that blue Auto track II fluid?

NNBS got the updated design that was able to use normal ATF.
It is different. The BW4482-NR4 is the AWD transfer case in those. It has more features than the 4485 in the 900s. My eyeballs are bothering me today, couldn't find what the latest fluid recommendation is.

HD_LS

Reaction score
The manual for my 06 Denali XL calls for 1.5 qts of Dexron III to be used in the transfer case. This vehicle is AWD. Since Dexron III isn't available anymore, what fluid type should I use? I read that at one point, GM recommended Dexron VI because it was supposed to be backwards compatible, but soon after they put out a warning that it wasn't good for transfer cases.

Any recommendations?
The answer to your question depends on whether you are 1) in the 90% who just want something that meets the specs, is readily available cheaply, or at the local store ... or 2) if you are in the 10% that want the absolute best available for maximum durability, and you are willing to pay more and go out of your way to get it. As you correctly stated, you have an AWD transfer case which has no clutches, etc ... If you are case 2) above, this is what you want to use: https://www.amsoil.com/p/torque-drive-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid-atd/

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m confused… are you asking which transfer case my truck has or what fluid is entry in my transfer case? Just got home from a 9 1/2 hour road trip…. Little tired lol.
What fluid do you use in your transfer case? If I remember from your road trip videos, you have AWD and that would be the Borg Warner 4482.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What fluid do you use in your transfer case? If I remember from your road trip videos, you have AWD and that would be the Borg Warner 4482.
Ah ok yes you are correct! I have full time AWD which per my build sheet is the BW4482 transfer case. I am however a little behind on transfer case maintenance… Yeah I know bad truck owner. The last time I had it checked out was in March of 2019 before a road trip to mammoth mountain for a training camp…. Ooops. Lol. It was drained and filled just before that road trip with fresh fluid. It has seen a lot of miles since then so I’m probably WAY overdue for a transfer case service. So I will pull the maintenance records as the shop did it for me because I did not have time to do it on my own at home. I will see if the service write up mentions what fluid they put in it, I will also check to see what my owners manual recommends for fluid in the transfer case. I should probably try and get my transfer case serviced in the next few days. Will post back shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts