5.7 Vortec Cam??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
crankcase ventilation and egr causes the dirt build up. if there was no pressure on the test port then it just means the pressure has bled off already. if you leave it on and turn the key to build pressure and it bleeds off soon then you might have an injector leaking or a check valve in the pump acting up. or were you talking hookes up the the chassis lines with the pump running? the old injectors will look like s*** when you get them out. regardless it is recommended they be upgraded when ever possible. i would do the rockers as well to maximize your gain just remember the 1.6 require the head work. seen a shaving tool somewhere before that makes it easy. I think ezdaar told me about it.

OP
OP
autolover3

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the PCV, my valve is in good condition and when shaken it rattles. And I don't have to worry about EGR anymore since I deleted it with headers. Kinda hittin myself in the head for that one. Oh well, live and learn.

Also with the fuel pressure the gauge was hooked up just a few minutes after vehicles was shut off. Would it bleed off that fast if everything checked out ok?

And I think I am going to go with the 1.6 rockers. I will be taking heads off for gaskets and will clearance guide holes for pushrods, and machine heads if necessary for cam and springs. I am in engines class right now so any special tools I need I will have access to.

Thanks for your input! I'm curious if you don't mind me asking Sunlit.. what do you do for a living. Way before I joined this forum I visited numerous times and never failed to see you popup in convos with lots of information.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I don't know why there is so much hype to need delete the egr. It really does not do anything worthy for me when I read why people do it. Besides it lowers the combustion temperatures and helps with oxides. Definite plus for the engine and environment.And I have no problem with lagging throttle either. as far as the dirty intake, nothing a regular scheduled maintenance task could not take care of. besides a seafoam cloud sounds fun.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

no the pressure should be able to hold at least about 50 for a while and I still see say 25 at minimum after 45 minutes. but that is just me. hook it on prime it and test again. you should always prime or run it after the tester is on otherwise when you hook it on after shutdown the tester hose length would normally relive some of the pressure into it.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

What do I do...... I have done computer/network, automotive, construction, food manufacturing, building maintenance, hvac from cars to house to large buildings, appliance/tool/generator work, electric, aviation ground support equipment and currently do aircraft maintenance on commercial aircraft only. I don't like the small fry's. No planes less then 73k pounds mtow is highly preferred. so crj-700 or bigger to a 747-400. done just about all of them except no 777/787 yet. I hate airbus's tho.

OP
OP
autolover3

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, after I installed my new headers a few days later we had theory in class about egr's and stuff. I didn't have a 2x4 to hit my head on but you get the jist. Engine is already torn apart and updated MFI is on the way from Amazon. Heads are at machine shop for 1.6 valves and new seat inserts, along with flat mill .010" I'll be making a new thread with all that I'm doing! Hope you will check it out once I get pics off my phone.

And holy moly! jack of all trades huh?

Thanks for all your help!

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm in a similar position with cam swap. I contacted Comp Cams and they recommended the Xtreme Fuel Injection cam and maybe 1.60 ratio rockers. I know the guide holes for the lifters need to be clearanced (with a 1/2" drill bit, if I remember correctly), but what work is ended to allow the 1.60 rockers adequate clearance. I need not info on this, so I can possibly do this myself depending on the price of the tool. I'm on a limited budget here and already on track to drop $1300.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're on a limited budget stick with the stock 1.5s, the horse power gain isn't worth the money or headache. Going to a roller rocker will give you some hp.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
don't have spec on your setup with info from comp about cam but to use the 1.6 in a stock engine it is just elongating the hole for the pushrod. comp also makes 1.52 that require no modding. both are available in roller tip and full rollers assemblies. just make sure you get the self aligning type.

OP
OP
autolover3

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yukon has comp self aligning 1.52 and 1.6 roller tipped rockers in it. Everything is good. Holes were enlarged for clearance and valvetrain geometry is centered on valves.

Just have to get used to the valvetrain noise now haha

Thanks for all the inputs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9