5.7 Vortec Cam??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if there wasn't any difference in intakes how did makers like K&N get dyno'ed results?

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

I've already got the longtubes on and will maybe toss the idea around of a Volant system or equivalent.

Whats your opinion on the ZZ4 cam?

"(intake/exhaust) is 275/280
.050" tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 208/221
lift with 1.5:1 rocker ratio (intake/exhaust) is 474/510.
lobe centerline is 112 degrees."

Not bad at all really seen one an engine dyno that had a gain of about 35 hp but don't know if other parts were changed. Everyone seems to like them. IMO it is worth it to go in that direction. I have no doubt you will be happy with it.

OP
OP
autolover3

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you about calling manufacturers and suppliers with choosing a cam and I will probably call Pace Performance to double check, I like reading and hearing first hand experiences with installed parts. On FSC forum I have read all positive reviews on the ZZ4 cam and it's a GM production cam so I can find one for relatively cheap compared to COMP etc.

With the rockers, what type is in our Vortecs from factory? I have read self aligning rollers are fine for everyday use in a street vehicle. What other option route could I choose though?

Also red99hoe what cam did you go with? Do you have stock TQ? And opinions are like assholes, they're all different and everyone has one! :)

And thanks SunLit! You are good with electrical correct? :)

OP
OP
autolover3

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question, I am thinking of buying those led strips and placing them below/or around the headlights and in the grille. Curious of how to wire them in so they are on whenever key is in run position?

Thanks

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Install a relay to power them and trigger the relay with your headlight power preferably because no point on having them on alone when in daylight unless intended to be some weird DRL. And as long as your low beams are on the leds will be on. That is one way so as controlled by the headlight switch. Or trigger the same relay with a fuse tap lead on the IGN1 fuse in the under hood block.

red99hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah, I have a stock torque converter.

I hate to get back on the subject of "CAI"....
if there wasn't any difference in intakes how did makers like K&N get dyno'ed results?

How many would they sell if they said " Our filter has the ability to flow X amount more air than your stock intake.....but your computer regulates the air and fuel mixture." In our trucks and suv's the spider injection and the oem intake are capable of over 400hp. The other problem I have with them is the oil that you spray on the filter builds up on the mass air flow censor.

The other topic was roller rockers.... I'm not saying that rollers aren't better or there not for street applications. I am triing to relate to a budget build. You will not notice any gains in a daily driver with rollers verses stamped rockers. Roller tips are junk....take the money spent on a CAI and roller rockers and get good lifters, new push rods or a new distributor.

OP
OP
autolover3

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sunlit... I will relay them to IGN fuse since I want them on all the time like newer vehicles with leds (can't think of any off hand now haha) What type/size relay should I use? Or should that be figured out after buying the lights and finding out how much power they take?

And red99.. you mean "aren't" capable of over 400 correct? I see how an aftermarket CAI tubing and design can allow a higher amount of air to be drawn in and metered for extra fuel to be added to compensate from your computer. But I don't see in spending 300 bucks for one right now when I feel GM's factory fender system is dandy. Will just buy a better drop in dry filter to go along with my silencer box delete etc.

And I have roller tipped rockers, why not upgrade to 1.6 roller tipped for higher lift with the ZZ4 cam? I have a new distributor and may upgrade push rods and maybe lifters depending on their condition when I pull the heads off

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
use a standard 20/30 amp relay as they are really inexpensive nowadays. AN fuse the entire system.

Red there are videos on it too. do you think I would make this stuff up just so you would buy one? If you are a non-believer, okay. I won't recommend power upgrades to you. It is the smoothing of the airflow and somewhat colder air that gets you the gain.

Auto, I would not bother with the drop-in. not much result in it.

Why would one just need to have a new dizzy. What is wrong with the old? Broke? then okay.

Also the over oiling was more a consumers fault not the maker. And that was i long time ago that all the hype about that was around. Just need to learn the proper procedure.

I kinda feel like you are behind in the times or dwelling on the past history of this stuff which is not entirely accurate. Move forward. You will get to the front of the line soon.:)

OP
OP
autolover3

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the electrical advice!

And I was stating I have a new distributor since he recommended spending my money on other things such as a dizzy. And I will just keep running air filter I get from Napa.

And updating I brought the Yukon into class today and started tear down on the ol' vortec. Got intake manifold off and tomorrow will be heads and cam. My intake manifold is all sludged up inside? I'm curious what is causing that but will talk with instructor. Instructor also recommended to hook up pressure gauge to fuel line and bleed pressure but when I hpooked up gauge it registered no pressure? So I'm thinking my injectors are at fault there since they have sludge/carbon buildup and were leaking (also poor fuel economy) Other than that things are looking good. As I type I am putting together my list of parts here.

-MFI upgrade from Amazon
-ZZ4 camshaft
-918 Beehive springs
-787 retainers
-618 locks
-ARP 3/8" rocker arm studs
-and few other misc stuff such as timing cover, timing chain, oil pan gasket, hydraulic lifters just in case etc etc

Just wondering if it'd be worth doing Comp's Magnum roller tipped 1.6 rockers. I've seen on fullsizechevy numerous people of doing just 1.6 rockers with stock cam and love em. I think they would compliment the ZZ4 cam quite well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kwells