2020 with 5.3 cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chaospilot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, I tried a search and couldn’t find what I want. Sorry if this is a repost. I just took delivery of my 20 5.3 Tahoe, did a muffler delete with a 4.5 inch double wall tip off the stock resonator and have a CAI on the way. I’d like to do long tubes and a cam next (preferably with a high LSA) I’ve done this to a c5, c6, and 2 GTOs (ls1 and 2)
I can’t find any info about how this interacts with all of the tech in the newer 5.3...will this mess up to cylinder deactivation or can I cam and tune this new motor?
Can anyone recommend a part number or manufacturer/seller of these parts?
Side note: I’m thinking about a full build. blower, pulley, heads, cam, pistons, rods, etc.. if anyone has built one of these motors I’d love a breakdown of the build and any suggestions of supporting Drivetrain mods. thanks for the help to a new member.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I tried a search and couldn’t find what I want. Sorry if this is a repost. I just took delivery of my 20 5.3 Tahoe, did a muffler delete with a 4.5 inch double wall tip off the stock resonator and have a CAI on the way. I’d like to do long tubes and a cam next (preferably with a high LSA) I’ve done this to a c5, c6, and 2 GTOs (ls1 and 2)
I can’t find any info about how this interacts with all of the tech in the newer 5.3...will this mess up to cylinder deactivation or can I cam and tune this new motor?
Can anyone recommend a part number or manufacturer/seller of these parts?
Side note: I’m thinking about a full build. blower, pulley, heads, cam, pistons, rods, etc.. if anyone has built one of these motors I’d love a breakdown of the build and any suggestions of supporting Drivetrain mods. thanks for the help to a new member.

A 5.3 is plenty stout as is to handle a bolt on blower. I would talk to BlackBear and see if they can talk to the ECM and TCM yet. They do make AFM camshafts, check out Texas Speed for starters. Also, pose your questions over at the Performance Trucks forum.

OP
OP
C

Chaospilot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the advise. I have not heard of Blackbear. I’ll shoot them an email this week. Sorry for posting in the wrong thread.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advise. I have not heard of Blackbear. I’ll shoot them an email this week. Sorry for posting in the wrong thread.

You didn't post in the wrong thread. James was suggesting you post up on another forum: performancetrucks.net

I haven't messed with the 2020 stuff yet. My guess is camming it would be about the same as for the previous generations, except all the lobes are for AFM. The real difference is the heads and intake since it's DI. Cam, heads, etc. doesn't mean a thing if it can't be tuned.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't post in the wrong thread. James was suggesting you post up on another forum: performancetrucks.net

I haven't messed with the 2020 stuff yet. My guess is camming it would be about the same as for the previous generations, except all the lobes are for AFM. The real difference is the heads and intake since it's DI. Cam, heads, etc. doesn't mean a thing if it can't be tuned.

They are using DFM motors in the K2 Wagons?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, I don't know for sure. Maybe that was the 2021 I was reading about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu