5.3 Slipway while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spacido

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my Tahoe 5.3. For a few days my engine has been struggling to climb in the laps and starts to fail. The situation even becomes dangerous because the engine stalls even at high speed (between 50 and 70 MPH).
The gas pump is 1 year old and about 7500 miles old. Yesterday, I changed the MAF sensor... it's better, it takes 5000 rpm but it has stalled once on 5

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Does it run properly on flat ground / slow speeds or small loads and only fail when climbing mountains or heavy load?

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost sounds like clogged catalytic converters, assuming you have those requirements in your country. Check fuel pressures to make sure Your relatively new fuel pump is working correctly. you didn't mention the model year, you should check your fuel filter if it has one.

OP
OP
Spacido

Spacido

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it run properly on flat ground / slow speeds or small loads and only fail when climbing mountains or heavy load?
he had already done it to me once, when I was alone on board, coming home from work and I was on the road at 50 MPH. And this weekend I had a great gentle off-road ride and when I got back on the road, it stalled again at 50 MPH coming out of a small town. In the evening, we went to see the fireworks of July 14 (our national holiday) and it was the disaster on the road: impossible to enter the RPM, engine that stalls ...

Almost sounds like clogged catalytic converters, assuming you have those requirements in your country. Check fuel pressures to make sure Your relatively new fuel pump is working correctly. you didn't mention the model year, you should check your fuel filter if it has one.
yes my Tahoe is catalyzed. My fuel filter at 1500 miles. But I wonder if it doesn't come from the gas pump. From the beginning, I can't start when I only have less than half of the tank left. Yet it is an ACDelco that costs a lot of money, because I have the code K53 pump reinforced power system. I wonder if I can put a normal pump instead. This afternoon (it's almost 6 pm here :Big Laugh:) I changed the gas pump relay.. Always the same

I found my old pump. My wife had put it away:banghead: yet I always tell him to stop storing in my garage, otherwise I find nothing. American women are the same or is it just in France? :happy175: I will put the old pump back to test

OP
OP
Spacido

Spacido

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I come back to give news.

I have a code P0171 and 0174 that lights up randomly. I put my old fuel pump back in and solved a problem: with the new one I could never start the engine if I didn't have half the tank, with the old one I no longer have this problem . Now my engine is running fine but I have this code that appears randomly.

do you think the EGR valve may be to blame?

mpope2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0171 and P0174 codes could indicate a few things. Most common reason for those lean codes popping is faulty intake gaskets. You mentioned you replaced the MAF. A bad or defective MAF could also produce the lean codes for both banks. If the codes were not present before switching out the MAF sensor, I’d put the old MAF and see if it clears after a drive cycle or two. If the codes were present prior to installing MAF, you must have another issue somewhere. I hope this helps.

OP
OP
Spacido

Spacido

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer.
I already had this problem before changing the MAF sensor. Since then I put the old fuel pump back on, changed the relay, two lambda sensors, the fuel filter at 800 miles, the spark plugs, ignition cable, ignition coils, PCV valve and fuel regulator are new. However, my code appears randomly, while my engine seems to have all its power

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mpope2 suggests leaky intake gaskets could cause this issue. Have those been replaced recently? I'm guessing not... So it is possible the gaskets you are running are breaking down. Due to the intermittent nature you describe, I'd also suggest -- if it is this gasket -- that you get the code, the engine warms sufficiently, the gasket fully seals, and the code goes away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy