5.3 oil consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDGnut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For me.. yea.. I should be better at checking the oil level.. (especially what I do for a living.. haha..) but vehicle we bought new.. never a drop of oil.. never any smoke.. not even the small valve seal start up.. I have always changed the oil, and go over it when I change the oil.. Just a lot of little things with the Tahoe I'm not happy with.. most of the issues on this site.. we have or have had.. but we still like it for what is...
Tonight the wife called and said it won't start with the remote.. it just makes a grinding sound.. (what ever that is.. haha..)

BAMA_LTZ_HOE

Reaction score
First oil change (Standard Castrol GTX) after purchasing our 2007 LTZ with 75,000 miles I had 80% oil life and my "add engine oil" light came on on the Info Center. Freaked me out a bit and got to looking and saw that it was pretty common. I kept an eye on it and added oil a couple of more times before the next oil change. The next oil change I switched to Castol GTX for high mileage engines just to see if it would help. I really wasn't expecting it to. The next time I had to add oil was when my oil life was at 20%. I'm going to continue to monitor to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I can live with adding oil at 20% oil life, but not 80%.

dz2a8r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I deal with these on a daily basis, and have never had a problem with the valve seals, The fix is adding a deflector shield insde the oil pan, and decarbing the pistons really really good. The dirvers side valve cover is another issue as well. If it is not taken care of in a timely manner we have to go to more invasive repairs that involve replacing the pistons and all rings. GM says no more than a quart every 2k miles, anyhting more is unacceptable

06whitess

Reaction score
"J" code (Flex Fuel) motors have a TSB out to install a baffle to reduce oil consumption. My service manager at the dealer I go to was telling me when I lost oil pressure one random afternoon. Ended up being low oil level, with no sensor catching it. I do not have the TSB number on hand, though I could get it easily if someone needs it.

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
120k and I've only added a quart every 7500-8k miles.

Royal Purple 5w/40 with the K&N filter

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i usually add a quart every 2 - 2500 miles to my yukon. keep in mind shes got 121k but runs great and strong and i dont baby it. my silverado SS has 61k and it doesnt drink a drop and its been under 9 PSI of boost for about 20k now. probably 100 1/4 mile passes so its safe to say it gets driven hard. at 50k you shouldnt have that bad of oil consumption IMO

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Looks like I now belong to this expansive group. Truck just turned 76k miles. Since I got her I have used Valvoline full synthetic oil and Wix oil filter. I just got my first "Engine Oil Level Low" message last night night. Oil life was at 50%.

OP
OP
seagravedriver

seagravedriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bringing back an old thread! I mentioned a while ago that the dealership said our Yukon was in spec. We brought it in every 500 miles for a while and they checked it, after 2k miles, it had not used any, and they said it was good, as any oil needed after that would be in spec. I did not go 10 miles before the light came on, and it needed a quart per the dipstick.

Step ahead a few months later, it developes an internal tick, louder than an exhaust leak. Take it to dealer, one bad lifter, and a flattened cam lobe. Replaced under warrenty, 2 oil changes later, and not one extra quart has been used. Problem solved. That could have been UGLY.

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I deal with these on a daily basis, and have never had a problem with the valve seals, The fix is adding a deflector shield insde the oil pan, and decarbing the pistons really really good. The dirvers side valve cover is another issue as well. If it is not taken care of in a timely manner we have to go to more invasive repairs that involve replacing the pistons and all rings. GM says no more than a quart every 2k miles, anyhting more is unacceptable

Decarbing the pistons? As in running Seafoam (or any top end cleaner) through the brake booster?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv

Latest posts