5.3 DoD Delete Stock Replacement Cam -- What's the Verdict

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Y’All,

Newbie here, looking to benefit from your collective wisdom and experience. I have a 2013 Tahoe (5.3 LMG) that dropped a DoD lifter, so I’m looking at DoD delete with VVT retained. The Tahoe’s a daily driver, with occasional light towing, and all I’m looking for is stock performance (certainly no worse, maybe a tad better) with maximum reliability and longevity. I’ve learned a ton from reading past threads, but I can’t pin down the answer to this question: what’s the best “stock replacement” cam for a 5.3 with VVT but no DoD? I’m hoping to hear from people who’ve actually done the deed about real-world experiences.

The stock LMG cam specs are 196/201, 0.482/0.482, 116+2. Here are the options among GM cams.

• 12689035 (190/191, 0.466/0.457, 114). This one is the default “stock replacement” cam sold with many DoD kits, but it is a bit anemic. It is the same cam used in the LMF 5.3 engine (VVT but no DoD, found in Express/Savana vans), which is down about 15 hp and 15 ft-lb from the LMG.

• 12626660 (196/208, 0.467/0.479, 116, also reported as 193/200, 0.476/0.476, 116). This one is the L96 (6.0 L) cam. It seems to be a popular choice because it is closer in spec to the LMG cam, and it can be had for a little over $100.

• 12623065 (198/209, 0.500/0.500, 115). This one is the L9H (6.2 L) cam. It is a bit hotter than stock, and one or two people on the forum seem to have used it without problem. On the down side, it is spendy (>$300). The jury is out on whether stiffer valve springs are needed (not used stock, and don't want to go there).
So, what’s your experience? Which cam did you go with, and how does she run? Did you tune or not (I’d rather keep stock tune)?

Thanks for any experiences you can share!

OP
OP
T

TNBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dustin,

Thanks! I should have included the L33 on the popular choices list. It's a 3-bolt cam, though, so not compatible with VVT. I'd like to keep VVT. The L33 cam would be good for my other ride (08 Sierra LY5), which I expect to undergo a DOD delete at some point. DOD has been trouble-free for 207k miles on that one, so I haven't been forced into a repair. I will do a software delete on that one and hope for the best.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Dustin,

Thanks! I should have included the L33 on the popular choices list. It's a 3-bolt cam, though, so not compatible with VVT. I'd like to keep VVT. The L33 cam would be good for my other ride (08 Sierra LY5), which I expect to undergo a DOD delete at some point. DOD has been trouble-free for 207k miles on that one, so I haven't been forced into a repair. I will do a software delete on that one and hope for the best.
I got a 3 bolt cam in my 07 out of a 99 Silverado I got used from a buddy all you need is the adapter for it and it’ll work just fine

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn’t realize the LMG came with VVT in newer revisions, I have the 08 LMG

OP
OP
T

TNBob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, Swathdiver, that is right. The valve reliefs drop the ratio from 9.9 to 9.6. It's about 3 cc per piston.

The VVT cams definitely have longer exhaust duration, I guess its so she can breathe easier when the cam gets retarded. As I understand the VVT, is parked at full advance, and the phaser can only move it back.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Swathdiver, that is right. The valve reliefs drop the ratio from 9.9 to 9.6. It's about 3 cc per piston.

The VVT cams definitely have longer exhaust duration, I guess its so she can breathe easier when the cam gets retarded. As I understand the VVT, is parked at full advance, and the phaser can only move it back.
The camshaft in our engines is "parked" at ZERO.. The VVT can only retard the cam timing.
It generally does this at higher RPM to make our 'little' cams seem "larger" at more rpm.
The factory cams are really small & that's OK with VVT because they can act like a big boy cam
when commanded to do so.