4l60e rebuild kit...so many options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svridge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I made a post on here a while back around Christmas with some questions about my transmission that lost some gears and got some really knowledgeable input from some great people. As of that post the 3rd and 4th gear were unavailable with slipping in 2nd. Since then, my step father took it on a test drive because he...didn't believe me that it was broken?? and came back 30 minutes later in reverse as 1-2 were now gone as well. Anyways, at the time I was planning on looking for a junkyard swap but I got to talking to a friend of mine who has rebuilt a few GM transmissions who said he would teach me how to do it if I bought the parts, which leads me to todays question. What parts kits include everything needed to restore my 4l60e to its stock state? the truck is an 04 and a lot of the rebuild kits I see only go up to 03. What I'm seeing online there are a ton of different kits, some offering upgrades, some with extra parts like new sun shells which I'm not sure I need (unless an old one is cracked, right?) and pretty big differences in pricing that I'm having a hard time understanding. I called around about getting the torque converter cleaned but it seems my best option is to just get another one (new or rebuilt?). Does anyone know of a complete rebuild kit that includes everything for a stock experience without any special upgrades that goes for a reasonable price. I will end up having to sell the truck soon so I don't want to put a bunch of money into upgrades that I likely won't get a return on. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any feedback on the matter!

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the pump took a crap. If you'll notice my username, no reverse is a symptom of a broken sun shell. I bought a kit from Global Transmission Parts + the improved sun shell. You'll also need a new pump.

If you're just gonna get it running to sell it, you might be better off money-wise and time-wise just swapping in a junkyard unit.
You can always use the broken trans to learn how to rebuild one.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the RayBestos clutch kits, and a RayBestos ZPak for the 3-4 clutch pack. Also I like a wide Alto band.

All of mine get an HD Valve Body Separator Plate and Torlon check balls which won't best the plate up.

I order aluminum accumulator Pistons. I stack two in the accumulator in the case facing each other with the "legs" locked together to block off that accumulator.

You'll need a new pump. You can get a fully assembled rebuilt pump, or you can just buy the pump internals. This is one I like to find AC Delco pump internals if I can and I recommend doing it yourself so you know good parts are going in. I do recommend you get a pump alignment tool for reassembly. It's kind of a band that goes around the outside of the pump body to align the two halves.

Block off the PWM solenoid, usually by using two of your original steel check balls. The method varies some between 4l60e's, but most in this year range can be accomplished using two check balls. Look for videos on YouTube. Precision Transmission channel has a lot of good info, but not easily searchable. PWM block off will increase torque converter life and doesn't cost anything.

A Hardened sun shell is, in my opinion, a necessary upgrade.

Dual cage sprags are a good idea. If you're replacing them anyway, and you should, just spend the few extra bucks on the dual cage deal.

I also personally like to put a .500 boost valve in the pump and a corvette servo in all of my trannys. This will firm up shifts and increase clutch pack life.

I also order load springs for every tranny. We've done a lot of work to make sure everything shifts firm and help clutch pack life. The load springs will prevent that wide band from engaging at the same time as the 3-4 clutch pack.

Off the top of my head, that feels like a pretty good list. Do your research, watch some videos. Do not reuse your old torque converter. Order a replacement or have yours rebuilt if you have a reputable rebuilder close.

Good luck!

Edit: I just read you were going to have to sell the truck. If that's true, I would skip the following items I recommended:

Zpak
.500 boost valve
Dual cage sprags - just get standard
Shift kit
You can use a standard band instead of a wide band. Many kits include a band.

I would do everything else I recommended. If someone comes to me looking for a basic budget rebuild, that's what I sell them.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will end up having to sell the truck soon
This tells me everything I need to know to make a choice.
My local junkyard sells pullout parts for a reasonable price with a small warranty. Since you plan to sell it, that is what I would do.
Money to rebuild it and any hard parts...IF the case is even still good. Since SOME failures can damage a case, you could get into rebuilding and find money spent on parts is useless bevause you need a new core to rebuild. I vote for a good used unit.

OP
OP
S

svridge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not really a true one kit for everything. Its all a matter of what your goal is here? Do youjust want it fixed so you can get back on the road? What do you intend to do with the vehicle? Tow? Push Snow? Drag Strip? Grocery Getter? Cruise for chicks? Or are you gonna get rolling so you can sell it?
I just want to be able to drive it again, mostly just around town. not looking for performance out of it and it hardly ever tows. lots of the kits I looked at for the 2004 and up models include some performance upgrades which I dont really care for

OP
OP
S

svridge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sounds like the pump took a crap. If you'll notice my username, no reverse is a symptom of a broken sun shell. I bought a kit from Global Transmission Parts + the improved sun shell. You'll also need a new pump.

If you're just gonna get it running to sell it, you might be better off money-wise and time-wise just swapping in a junkyard unit.
You can always use the broken trans to learn how to rebuild one.
the reverse is actually the only gear that still works. I do want to take a shot at rebuilding just to learn how but if I do swap in a junkyard trans I don't want to waste my money on the kit or deal with selling a rebuilt trans on its own.

OP
OP
S

svridge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I like the RayBestos clutch kits, and a RayBestos ZPak for the 3-4 clutch pack. Also I like a wide Alto band.

All of mine get an HD Valve Body Separator Plate and Torlon check balls which won't best the plate up.

I order aluminum accumulator Pistons. I stack two in the accumulator in the case facing each other with the "legs" locked together to block off that accumulator.

You'll need a new pump. You can get a fully assembled rebuilt pump, or you can just buy the pump internals. This is one I like to find AC Delco pump internals if I can and I recommend doing it yourself so you know good parts are going in. I do recommend you get a pump alignment tool for reassembly. It's kind of a band that goes around the outside of the pump body to align the two halves.

Block off the PWM solenoid, usually by using two of your original steel check balls. The method varies some between 4l60e's, but most in this year range can be accomplished using two check balls. Look for videos on YouTube. Precision Transmission channel has a lot of good info, but not easily searchable. PWM block off will increase torque converter life and doesn't cost anything.

A Hardened sun shell is, in my opinion, a necessary upgrade.

Dual cage sprags are a good idea. If you're replacing them anyway, and you should, just spend the few extra bucks on the dual cage deal.

I also personally like to put a .500 boost valve in the pump and a corvette servo in all of my trannys. This will firm up shifts and increase clutch pack life.

I also order load springs for every tranny. We've done a lot of work to make sure everything shifts firm and help clutch pack life. The load springs will prevent that wide band from engaging at the same time as the 3-4 clutch pack.

Off the top of my head, that feels like a pretty good list. Do your research, watch some videos. Do not reuse your old torque converter. Order a replacement or have yours rebuilt if you have a reputable rebuilder close.

Good luck!

Edit: I just read you were going to have to sell the truck. If that's true, I would skip the following items I recommended:

Zpak
.500 boost valve
Dual cage sprags - just get standard
Shift kit
You can use a standard band instead of a wide band. Many kits include a band.

I would do everything else I recommended. If someone comes to me looking for a basic budget rebuild, that's what I sell them.
Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply. exactly what I was looking for. I will be driving it for a little while afterwards until I reach a point where I will have to sell all of my vehicles including the Tahoe unfortunately. I'll definitely do some more research and watch some assembly videos before I touch anything and luckily I have some really good help from my buddy to walk me through it.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply. exactly what I was looking for. I will be driving it for a little while afterwards until I reach a point where I will have to sell all of my vehicles including the Tahoe unfortunately. I'll definitely do some more research and watch some assembly videos before I touch anything and luckily I have some really good help from my buddy to walk me through it.
If your buddy cant tell you what you need for your rebuild then he is not a tranny rebuilder and you dont want him practicing his "expertise" on your tranny. One of the key things to a successful tranny rebuild is cleanliness. That case has to be washed in a hot alkali solution and most people dont have the washer at home in their garage because it is so expensive.
If your buddy ok'd the idea of "washing your torque converter" for reuse then he definitely does not know what he is doing.

I understand these times are hard and money can be tight for many. But this is actually going to cost you more if you get your tranny "rebuilt in a driveway" and it never works after or blows with less than 50 miles on it.
It sounds like you would be better off pulling the tranny and taking it in for a rebuild at a tranny shop and then reinstalling it if budget is a concern wich would save you the R&R labor costs. (Just makes sure you flush the tranny cooler thoroughly before installing rebuilt tranny)

A transmission is a complicated device and just isnt something to play around with and learn on, especially when you need your vehicle for transportation. Just about anyone can be trained to work on or rebuild them but not on a weekend in the driveway. Its just not as simple as replacing a pair of exhaust manifolds on an engine (And engine rebuilding is an art in and of itself).

oldchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading the pain...my 2004 Denali AWD just "broke" yesterday. Bang, then loud whirring plus other noises. I limped home (25 miles) holding in 3rd. No reverse so suspect reaction sun gear shell. Of course that's the basic prognosis, until we see it, we won't know what else.
This one has 280k on it so I have far exceeded the usual life span. I have trans experience but at my age I don't know if I can handle a garage floor pull out again. Doesn't scare me to do anything, just time and physical limitations. Maybe if I can get a used one (incl torque conv) I'll rebuild the old one if they let me keep it. Sigh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts