40,000 Mile Report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. SO awesome that CARB / EPA does not allow GM to allow customers to opt into or out of the cylinder confusion feature, unless they buy a 6.6L L8T.

2. Some say 'regular'=3000. I say 3500. Some say 5000. Some say 7500. Some say "I follow the Oil Life Monitor". What say you?

3a. GM calls it Dynamic Fuel Management. Tula Tech calls it Dynamic Skip Fire. I regret how damnedably long it took me to come up with ...
... Cylinder Confusion ... you'd all be wise to refer to this feature properly.
A V8 with Cylinder Confusion has SEVENTEEN different firing orders, alternating between V8, V7, V6, V5, V4, V3 and/or V2 modeS.
Having 17 different firing orders maintains very consistent cylinder temperatures and wear, and allows Cylinder Confusion to remain in effect far longer than the previous version, 'Cylinder Half-assinanity'.
Point is, a display that attempted to show the driver which cylinders happen to be deactivated in real time would ...
Come to think of it, that actually might look ... AWESOME ... although some kind of a seizure warning might be advisable ...

3b. I would actually appreciate something like this. I think, however, we should first lobby to have the 'Check Engine' light replaced by
The actual trouble codeS displayed without having to drive a vehicle to the mechanic that I maybe should've towed and pay them extra money to tell me the codes.
"But there's an app for that"
If the '96 Roadmasters' and Fleetwoods' radios were able to show the driver the trouble codes without an app, WHY DO WE NEED AN APP?

:sleepy::sleepy10:
That's brilliant! A radio with OBD reader built in!

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.
Any idea how much it costs to do the second bank? I'm 99% sure I'd just have paid to do it and try to get the money back later. One of the stupidest policies ever. I hope they changed it because they were getting hammered in public opinion.

Right now, I'm planning to do TSB 22-NA-027 on my own dime because Chevy require the dealer to do an oil consumption test, then hide behind the bs quart per 2000 mile nonsense. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10210839-0001.pdf
Even the dealer I bought from wouldn't go to bat for me... smh

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's brilliant! A radio with OBD reader built in!
Point was, in '96, the driver could already check their own trouble codes IN the car just by owning the car.
It's 2024, and the ability to check your own trouble codes still requires other equipment.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Point was, in '96, the driver could already check their own trouble codes IN the car just by owning the car.
It's 2024, and the ability to check your own trouble codes still requires other equipment.
Actually, you can press OnStar button and they will e-mail you the report w/ the trouble codes in it.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, you can press OnStar button and they will e-mail you the report w/ the trouble codes in it.
By the way: when I said '96 RoadMasters & Fleetwoods, I was in error.
'94 & '95 RoadMasters & Fleetwoods could also use the radio to show OBD1 trouble codes.

30 years later, I need OnStar (which needs cellular reception), then someone ELSE must get involved, then I have to open an email?
Am I supposed to be impressed?

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea how much it costs to do the second bank? I'm 99% sure I'd just have paid to do it and try to get the money back later. One of the stupidest policies ever. I hope they changed it because they were getting hammered in public opinion.

Right now, I'm planning to do TSB 22-NA-027 on my own dime because Chevy require the dealer to do an oil consumption test, then hide behind the bs quart per 2000 mile nonsense. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10210839-0001.pdf
Even the dealer I bought from wouldn't go to bat for me... smh
Sooo, not paying the dealer to do a $3500 Camshaft Housing replacement per 22-NA-027. 1) because it's stupid expensive, and 2) because our truck doesn't have a Housing in the affected serial number range (cost us $400 to find this out, because I'm not in a position to take the time to do it myself). According to Chevrolet it's just fine, so I guess we'll sell it back to the dealer and move on.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm over that. Got a Banks iDash installed. Sure, I had to pay extra, but it looks pretty integrated. But joke's on me, Banks abandoned the Derringer development and didn't even have the dignity to tell us.

What I'm not over is GM just blocking you from finding a root cause because they say it's "normal". Yeah, if more than half of your cars explode, that becomes "normal" too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts